big twin, '59 rds21b 35hp woohoo!!!

pcrussell50

Petty Officer 1st Class
hi all, got this motor along with a boat and trailer back in late may. couple of pics http://lh3.ggpht.com/_mOL8GggZY7w/S...205010308200807119a1f0f7721a5af7cb300dec5.jpg

and

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_mOL8GggZY7w/S...509010304200807110f09ce89ec481d742b00cdf9.jpg

it's a '59 super seahorse 35hp, [rds21b], and it was a runner from the day i got it. sweet. it's no show queen, more of a workhorse, but that's alright. a good piece of equipment should be able to hold it's own, right?

anyway, after running it in fresh and salt water, [i'm only a couple of blocks from the ocean] all summer, without ever looking into tuning it up or checking it out, i've finally decided to take care of that right now. there are many little things i'd like to address, even though i could go out and run it right now. they are, and in no particular order:

-no zinc plate anywhere. don't know if that's important or not. it's run in salt water, but never kept in salt water and always flushed. still, should i have one anyway?

-the magneto plate has become oily, i think i need to replace to top seal, yes? or can i just leave it like that?

-no knobs on the carb adjustment needles, [high and low speed]. i don't neccessarily need originals, since this will be a workhorse, not a restoration queen, but i want something there

-just did a comperssion check before i sink money into parts. both cylinders show about 117. i think that's ok, right? interestingly, i got those numbers by cranking it with the electric starter. when i used the recoil starter, i only got about 80 on each.

-when i pulled the flywheel, the puller screws touched the coil packs and rubbed off some of the plastic coating...but didn't reach any metal on the inside. still, is this something to worry about?

-i want to replace the spark plug wires...can i use automotive wires?

-the one thing about this motor is that it has seen maintenance, good or bad...various screw heads show wear from screwdrivers and wrenches, and the wiring is all curtailed. it think there is a cutout switch on the side of the block and some of it's wires have been removed so it won't actually ground the magnetos. the voltage regulator has been removed, so even though there's a generator, it doesn't charge the battery. i'd like to fix that, too. no thermostat inside the housing.

anyway, i'm thrilled about the compression numbers, and consider that a go-ahead signal to press on with repairs. i think i'll ask about the top seal, and what to do about it in another thread. i have the seloc manual, and have been reading it furiously. also, as a bit of background, i'd never had a boat until i bought this one in late may, but i'm a huge car hobbyist, [road course racing] and build and install my own engines, so i'm fairly comfy with most mechanical things, but i'm faaar from a pro. i will need much guidance.

-peter

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: big twin, '59 rds21b 35hp woohoo!!!

Zinc plate? In my humble opinion a greatly over rated gizmo. I wouldn't worry about it.

The oil on the magneto: Is it clean oil or black grimey stuff? The black grimey stuff might just be liquified grease from the armature plate mounting. Clean it all up and SPARINGLY relube the armature plate with just a smear of EP grease. Seals leak clean oil from the crankcase. But of course, that adds to the black grimey stuff.

Knobs shouldn't be that hard to find. Try a free want ad at aomci.org.

Absolutely NOT, you can't use car wires. Use wire wires. A bit harder to find, but it is out there, depending on where you look. Try a tractor place.

Voltage regulators are over a hundred bucks. Sure you need one?

Compression while hand cranking will be lower because of the compression relief linked to the recoil starter.

pcrussell50

Petty Officer 1st Class

Voltage regulators are over a hundred bucks. Sure you need one?

thanks for the tips! wow, over a hundred smackers? i guess i don't really need one that badly. i use a deep cycle marine battery that i keep topped off with a battery tender/float charger. my typical outing lasts 2-4 hours and has 5-10 startups. this usage appears to not even dent a fully charged battery. so do i _need_ it? probably not. still, i'm interested in making it "right". our very own iboats has some regulators listed, but i'm darned if i know how to pick out the right one. does someone know, or do i have to get the parts manual?

snipped my question about spark plug wire. iboats carries it.

-peter

rolmops

Vice Admiral

I know the feeling.I have 3 1957 Johnsons and they have yet to give any trouble.
As for using a charging system,it is a generator not a rectifier,don't bother.Unless you run a lot of electronics and a trolling motor you will not drain the battery.Besides,for these systems to charge at all you will have to run at roughly 1800 to 2000 rpm minimal to get any charge out of them and even then it is a dismal trickle.you are better served with a trickle charger that you stick on the battery when you get home after a trip.Sears has the small ones for around $40

pcrussell50

Petty Officer 1st Class

aha! very good info, and convincing reason not to bother with the regulator for now. i'll move it further down my priority list.

-peter

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Just for the info, it is true that the DC generator has to run at least 2000 rpm to start charging. But it puts out 10 amps, which is considerably more than the 6 amps that many (most) standard alternators give you.

The regulator is part number 377001, changed to 381538. List $95.00. $81.69 at ishopmarine.com

That motor came from the factory without a generator of any kind. The generator kit was an optional at extra cost accessory.

pcrussell50

Petty Officer 1st Class

Fr, great info as usual. I've got to ask...how do you know not only the part number, but the replacement number? I assume you have the parts manual. What I'm getting at is, how can I have access to the kind of info you just fed me? So as not to burden the forum with my part number questions and all. Of course, if your a dealer with special access to things we don't get, I understand.

rolmops

Vice Admiral

One additional part is needed. That is the generator bracket.These are, shall we say, a bit over priced and a bit hard to get a hold of.The only place where I have seen them reasonably priced is Ebay.
Oh yes,did I mention the drive belt? These go for about $35 and not every engine has the proper flywheel.
I should know.One of my engines has the entire setup.(scrounched together from Ebay).

78whiteorbs

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Can't see pictures in the links you provided. Can you post attach them here? I am very interested to see them. I also have the same '59 SuperSea Horse as you ,also a 35HP . I am in the process of getting it running. It has good compression and as I have read again and again these are great old engines to get running cheap!

pcrussell50

Petty Officer 1st Class

heh, heh! actually my motor already has the generator bracket, generator belt, and generator itself. all mounted up, just as pretty as you please. in fact, i ran it that way all summer. spinning the generator and all. just no regulator, so battery chargy no-worky.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

Your pics link didn;t work. DO you have new links?

pcrussell50

Petty Officer 1st Class

Your pics link didn;t work. DO you have new links?

argh!! @@##$%%&*^!

posting pics here on iboats has been the bane of my existence...time to break out the BIG gun that will definitely work. go to:

http://picasaweb.google.com/pcrussell50

then look under the album called "das boot"

my screaming 135hp 16 footer is under the album called "tahiti!"

the photos are cheap craigslist pics, sorry. i'll get some real ones up someday...or with some prodding from you all :)

-Peter

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

You're right... those were cheap small photos!

pcrussell50

Petty Officer 1st Class

ok, just removed to lower unit. it was milkshake :( i was scared, so i opened her up and was relieved to find...no corrosion! everything looked fresh as a baby's bottom in terms of the gears and the bushings. i should has suspected so, because it drove and shifted and held in gear just like it should have...it's just that the milkshake bothers me. oh well, off to iboats to order a seal kit.

the impeller looked great, but i'm ordering a new one anyway. the impeller housing is a little corroded in it's outer passages and a little pitted in the swept part of the housing itself, so i'm inclined to pony up for a new housing as well. do they come with the spring seal, or do i have to order one of those separately? the water tube grommets looke brand new...maybe they were? don't know the maintenance history of this old gal.

couple of quesions, the seloc manual says to use "sealer" or something on the spaghetti seal...but i have no idea what they mean. any recommendations?

-Peter

rolmops

Vice Admiral

The sealer they are referring to is a very thick brownish liquid sealant that does not harden up.You can get it in most marinas and they have a version of it in most car parts stores as well.It goes by the name of :83H super 300 gasket sealant.Evinrude has its own brand name.