1964 75hp Super SeaHorse, Electromatic Shifter replacement

64Crosby

Recruit
Over the summer I had my motor completely rebuilt and I'm struggling with the engine not getting enough juice. When I manually operate the fuel valve on the motor, I have no problem cranking it up. Hence the problem must lie between where the shifter cables connect at the motor and the shifter (which seems to operate just fine unless the electronic switch in there is bad???). I just really don't know how to begin the search other than replacing the cables to start. Is there something else that I should verify to be in working order, such as the motor connection point? It just doesn't seem like the cable travels far enough to cause anything to give it more juice. Please suggest any threads or the replacement cables that I need. See attached images (original) and I included a final remodel shot from late this summer...

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1964 75hp Super SeaHorse, Electromatic Shifter replacement

when you say fuel valve, do you mean the carb linkage? the throttle cables do go bad. these are the cables for your motor. save the ends off the old cables.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1964 75hp Super SeaHorse, Electromatic Shifter replacement

I assume you've had the motor for awhile and know about the red start/fast idle/warmup lever on the control? The one that is often broken off? It has a decal saying "start" on an arrow.

The limit on how far you can move that lever is adjustable. Look for a hole beside the slot where the red lever slides. As you move the red lever toward fast idle position, a screw head rises up toward that hole. Using a screwdriver, turn the screw downward to increase how far you can move the red lever.

If you try to give it too much throttle, the safety switch on the motor will keep the starter from cranking. The trick is to adjust the limit screw to where it goes as far as possible without the safety switch preventing cranking.