suzuki dt30 steering set up

gamekeepa

Cadet
I've bought a microplus 501 with a suzuki dt30 outboard.Ther boat has a steering wheel and a single cable.The cable isnt connected to either the engine or the wheel and i dont know how to do this.The back of the steering wheel is threaded whith i slit running down about 2 inches of it.Either side of the engine transom the cable runs through a pulley.Any advise would be great.Cant wait to get on the water.

Whoopbass

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: suzuki dt30 steering set up

Here is a few pics of the steering linkage on my 1990's 30 HP Suzuki (3 cylinder).

Attachments

• Picture 340 (Custom).jpg
    Picture 340 (Custom).jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 1
  • Picture 341 (Custom).jpg
    Picture 341 (Custom).jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 1
  • Picture 343 (Custom).jpg
    Picture 343 (Custom).jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 1

James R

Commander

Sound like you have an old vintage type steering system. Doesn't work with the late model motors. You will need a complete replacement steering system and a drag link for your particular motor. Go to brownspoint.com, parts, and look up your motor for the drag link.

smartcaddie

Cadet

I also think you have a vintage steering system. but can you provide more info or maybe some pics? that would help alot.. in a DT30 there are a couple of ways of installing a steering cable.

gamekeepa

Cadet

Thanks for the replys.Will try to post some pics to give you a better idea of what cables and steering wheel i have.

marine4003

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Here is a few pics of the steering linkage on my 1990's 30 HP Suzuki (3 cylinder).

Whoop...those are pics of your throttle and shift..not steering, there should be a tube that runs in front of the engine..threaded on one side..thats where the steering cable threads into...more pic's..