PENCIL ANODES where?

billywhizz

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi all, I have mercruiser 485 which i use in salt water, does it have pencil anodes in the cooling system? where do i look? more importantly how do i go about ordering repacement in terms of ref numbers etc, thanks guys

Last edited:

f_inscreenname

Commander
Re: PENCIL ANODES where?

Don taught me a long time ago. They normally rot and fall off inside the manifold. After the first one did and I spent half a day fishing the rattling thing out I never used them again. Flush regular and you don?t need them anyway.

dan t.

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I run pencil anodes and am a firm beliver in them. you can put them in the drain in the heat exchanger, and in the drains in the risers. I change them every 3 months in the risers before they compleatly dissapear. I also keep my boat moored in salt water for 6 months from May to Sept. if you are trailering and flushing after every run I wouldnt worry about it

billywhizz

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Dan for your helpful reply, I am in the same situation salt water May through to end of September, not sure how our freind thinks i am going to flush regular on a swinging mooring with stern drive?the drain on the exchanger is easy enough to see to, can you be a bit more specific as to where i find the drains in the "risers"or where i find the risers, maybe we have a different term for them over here? much apreciated, Bill

dan t.

Lieutenant Junior Grade

your risers are the outlet for the exhaust and are bolted to the top of the exhaust manifold. just above where they bolt together you will find a 7/16 wrench size brass plug this is the drain . down load the manual from Bondos post

billywhizz

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Downloaded the manuals but alas no mention of pencil anodes,i have found the drain plug on the exchanger into which i can fit an anode when i manage to identify the thread? also there are 2 same plugs on the closed side of the cooling system, do i need to fit anodes on this side as well? thanks

abj87

Petty Officer 1st Class

No anodes are needed on the closed side of the system, just the one in the heat exchanger.

Bondo

Staff member

i have found the drain plug on the exchanger into which i can fit an anode when i manage to identify the thread?

Ayuh,...

No doubt it's either, 1/8", 1/4", or 3/8" Pipe thread...

not sure how our freind thinks i am going to flush regular on a swinging mooring with stern drive?

With a few commonly available pipe fittings, valves,+ a flush fitting,...

I can't see a Problem....

billywhizz

Petty Officer 2nd Class

the manual says 1/8-27NPT but the brass plug measures 3/8 thread dia and needs a 7/16 spanner across the flats, now i am confuddled?

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... That's 1/8" Pipe thread...

billywhizz

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Oh please do explain?

Bondo

Staff member

Oh please do explain?

Ayuh,.....

Somewhere on the In-coming Water Line,....
Cut it, add a Flush Fitting,+ a ball valve to block the water from running back out the drive....
When Running, the valve is Open,+ everything is Normal...
On the Hook,...
Close the valve, hook the freshwater hose to the fitting,+ Flush.....

billywhizz

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Don, well it all sounds straight forward enough, but i am having trouble with the difference in "terminology" used on your side of the pond, by "flush fitting" do you mean equal tee or is it a specific item/component for the job? ( not seen one here yet) and in the same manner is "ball valve" the same as non return valve? my apologies if i appear a little vacant, better to measure twice and cut once, regards Bill

Bondo

Staff member

Don, well it all sounds straight forward enough,

Ayuh,.... I'll take that as a Compliment,.....;) :D

The Flush Fitting will be a "T" fitting which fits inside the existing Hose, with a screw thread to accept a garden hose on the 3rd leg...
The 1s I've seen have a "Cap" to close it off, when running the boat....
Something like This,..
125IO_3.jpg

A Ball-Valve is just a 1/4 turn, full flow Valve...
Like This,...
fig_12_2_1.gif

'course,.. The Flush fitting shown, Already has the ball valves built in...

billywhizz

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Don, yes do take it as a compliment as it was meant,
Fine got all that nice and clear, but i notice when i fit the muffs to the raw water intake (boat on trailer) that water will not pass through stern drive until engine is running, so with this setup can i assume that the water from the hose will flush out through the exhaust without motor running?

slasmith1

Lieutenant Junior Grade

just flushing with fresh water doesn't solve the problem of electrolysis. stray current passes through the water where your boat is moored the anodes protect your drive system by being more susceptible to corosion or electrolysis than your drive and cooling system if you leave you boat in the water for any length of time fresh or salt use the anodes and replace or check them regularly.

Bondo

Staff member

Don, yes do take it as a compliment as it was meant,

Ayuh,... I said that because I'm just Bondo,.... Don is the All Knowing Wizard....;)

The Flush fitting would be mounted Inside the boat, on the In-coming, from the outdrive raw waterline....
With a set up like the 1st picture I posted,.. The outdrive has Nothing to do with it....
Hook it up,+ turn it on...
It could be done with the motor Off,...
Or probably running as well... Although the water from the outdrive's impeller won't have Anywhere to go...

billywhizz

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok Bondo my mistake, how does the water that is entering the exchanger from the flush fitting hose get out?

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.. The same way it Always does,.... Out the Riser...