Ice fishing

Plainsman

Rear Admiral
Any one here like to ice fish? Here I am in our hut

IMG_0086-1.jpg

D

DJ

Re: Ice fishing

One of the happiest days, of my life, is when we left Minnesota to move to Arizona.

I sold everything I had (except my Sorels) that had to do with winter. That included every bit of ice fishing gear I had. That was a lot, including a home made "ice house".

The best ice fishing I ever had was sitting on a weedbed and using chunks of nightcrawler to pull up big Bull Bluegills. We had some that approached a pound.

Using small minnows netted us many a fine Crappie.

I actually enjoyed it. It was actually quite nice, in the fish house, with the kerosene heater going. I used to sit there with "street clothes" on, except for the boots. My sons loved it.

We used to tow the "fish house" to our spots, with an ATV. Never had a snowmobile. The ATV did just fine. I only had to " chain it up" once. Bad snow year-ice only.

Vlad D Impeller

Commander

Are you kiddin'? Why would anyone want to freeze their nuts off fishing for ice, just pick you up a bag at the nearest gas station.
Did your freezer broke?;)
:D:D

fire831

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hard water nut here also. Just waiting for the lakes to freeze back up. Fish on.

chiefalen

Captain

Never did it one day i would like to try.

I have seen ice sailing, that looks like fun.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i'm gonna put so ice in the fish bowl and try it.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

It is a fun way to fish and has it's moments. When the tip ups go and sometimes more than one at a time I enjoy it.
Great enjoyment comes watching a newbie get that look of panic when the ice cracks and thumps :D

Our ice is just starting to form. Yesterday was 55 degrees and rain for most of the morning followed by snow and ice by evening. As soon as the weather pattern stays cold we should have good ice and then the shanty town will begin to form.

I will take a few pictures this winter so our iboats people can appreciate it.

chiefalen

Captain

Years ago, wow almost 17 thinking about it, all we had was the eldest child was maybe 4

I loaded up my wife any myself and the baby and we went to Maine.

My collage roommate and best friend has a house up there.

It was during the summer, and we were not in any great hurry, and i had a minivan, caravan i think, anyway we stopped and stayed at a few towns on the way up.

Conn, was nice but the people a bit standoffish, and then on to vt. and i fell in love with that state.

I can't remember the town we stayed in but was the typical small new england town.

Narrow main street, with wonderful shops, smiling people saying hello, and good morning to us, as we strolled around with the baby carriage.

I remember a older gentleman pulled to the curb and jumped out of a old v.w bus painted hippie colors and piece signs all over it, perfect condition that bus, like it just rolled off the assembly line.

And he pulls out a wheel chair and goes to help his wife onto it, so i said need help, and he smiles and i lift his wife into the chair, i was 17 years younger, better health, and better condition then.

So i asked him if he was local, and his wife says yes why do you ask.

I said were looking for a place to have breakfast, it was say 9 am.

So he says follow them they know the best place to eat.

We go around the corner off the main street and tucked into a dead end street is the greatest old style, lunchenette like from the 50's.

Everyone is greeting the older guy and his wife by name.

And we grab a corner table and the baby is asleep, so we leave her in the carriage in the corner.

The older couple eat and are leaving and say good by to everyone, and us, i said need a hand to get her back in, he said na were going to shop around a little have fun.

So we get up and i ask for the check and the waitress said your money is no good here.

So i was takin aback, and being a little younger and not thinking i said, maybe with a tone in my voice, i aint no pauper my money's as good as anybody's.

She said the old guy picked up my check with the tip.

I said sorry and have a nice day.

We go out to a absolutely gorgeous day, summer day.

And walk around and pick up a few things here and there.

And go back to the van, he and his wife are just getting to the V.W bus, and i didn't see them anywhere in town, walking around.

Was a weekday, and i noticed a money bag, with a zipper canvas type in his hand, didn't think anything about it he opens the door to his van, not locked, and tosses in the bag. Yep no one locks there doors there i guess.

And i said let me get her for you, and his wife said we got to stop meeting like this my husbands a jealous man.

My wife said yea and how about his wife being a jealous woman, meaning herself.

So i lift her in, and he puts in the chair, and my wife is loading the child into the car seat, and i said to him thank you for breakfast, but no need for that.

He waves me off and says it was nothing enjoy the rest of the day.

I fold up and throw in the baby carriage in the trunk. And we are off looking to buy maple syrup.

We saw a few places around on the way into town, one with a big, big lake behind it, and i just happened to have a fishing pole under the back seat.

So on the way to the hotel, we stop and park in front of the place, and my wife and daughter go in, im not mush for shopping, and while shes in there, i pull out the pole and its already got a lite, something on the line perfect for trying to catch bass.

I go around to the back and theres a dock with a really nice professional bass boat with a 250 or something out board on back.

But theres a sign no fishing, no trespassing.

But theres the vw parked with the back to a garage door and the door is up.

I said to myself can't be.

And with that out comes this biggest Rottie i swear i ever saw, barking a little, head down and his stump of a tail ain't wagging.

I stand still, and not move, he stands still and is sniffing me but really,well trained dog no kidding.

So i'm talking low and even tones to him, nice boy, nice boy if you let me i'll go around the front.

Out comes the old guy, smiling, calls the dog to him, and says, what you following me.

But sees the pole in my hand, and saw me on the video camera, in the store, come around the side and back, and he was talking to my wife in the store. His wife was in there to.

So i said i didn't see the sign from the front and as i saw it i was going back, and saw your van, and the dog came out.

I didn't mean to intrude, but i wanted to wet the line and i would throw it back if i got something.

With that out comes a bunch of guys, from a barn or something, and not looking to friendly, carrying objects in there hands.

He's a big time bottler of the syrup, and sends it to all kinds of stores around the world.

I thought to myself, myself feet don't fail me now. Pole in my left hand.

He got the dog by the collar these guys are moving fast at me, And he must have seen the look in my eye change, and my hand going to my equalizer on my hip under my coat.

He turns around and barks orders at these guys, that I'm a friend of his and he didn't call them, and who are they to intrude themselves into our conversation.

One guy in front with the biggest object in his hand, was big, like a refrigerator with no neck. Around 20-25.

He say dad we thought you needed help.

He said if he needed help he would call on his equalizer, and with that, he opens his coat and he's got a dirty harry 45 or something with a 6-7 inch barrel on it serious piece of hardware. Chrome piece nice.

Says common were going fishing put that baby pole away i got everything we need on the boat, and says he was just about to go out on the boat to catch dinner.

I said wife gonna get pissed, if i go out without telling her.

He said my wife, your wife, and my daughter in law are smooching it up big time having tea in there, they don't care if we live or die right now.

His wife is loving playing with my daughter, and don't be a woose lets go fishing.

So i lean my pole on the wall, jump in the boat and off we go.

Spent about a hour, maybe 2 on the boat and i throw back a few, hes catching bigger ones and keeps one or 2.

And in we come. Wife didn't know or care where i was for 2 hours.

Never forget that day, or those people, Vt one of my favorite places in the world.

Maine was great also, spent a week of there, but Vt i remember most.

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

I was in Arizona one time for a business thing. I was explaining ice fishing to a bunch of my peers.
After the explanation, one southerner says : "sounds like quite the excuse for a drinking problem"
:)

LadyFish

Admiral

I could get into it if I had these accomodations:

Now thats what I call roughing it. ;)

25gys5u.jpg

22kktj.jpg

bdnseo.jpg

6rlsid.jpg

2duigwm.jpg

getinmerry

Petty Officer 1st Class

Some of my worst memories in fishing have to do with ice fishing. Everytime I've gone, it was windy and bitter. The "hands freeze within a couple of seconds when exposed" kind of cold. I will never ice fish again unless I get digs like the pictures above.

I love fishing the bays during ice-out in my 12' row boat. The perch and crappie are stacked- you can almost get out of the boat and walk across them. I'll wait until spring to pick up a pole again.

Chuck

Plainsman

Rear Admiral

I have a small 2 person hut and a small propane heater. Within 30 mins your shedding coats, hat and gloves.

Now if I could only find the fish!