1968 55hp chrysler

hope761fish

Cadet
HI, I bought a 55hp seaking, i was told that it ran great, only to find out it doesn't run, No Spark, i pull the flywheel off and cleaned the points and managed to get a little yellow spark out of one plug, it look like someone changed one of the coils because one of them are bigger than the other one, i did call a mariner that had a set of coils,but they wanted 125.00 each for them, really more than i can aford right now, I need help, first, i am not sure if it's wired right and i hate to spend that much money only to find out i don't need coils, i need some type of troubleshooting manual or if someone knows or have two coils a lot cheaper or any other suggestion of what i should try, thanks for any help

eurolarva

Rear Admiral
Re: 1968 55hp chrysler

Hello Hope761fish and welcome to Iboats. I doubt you will find what you are looking for free on the internet. I would get a Clymer manual and you can do some basic electrical testing with that help. Ebay might be a resource or a public library. There were two types of coils for that motor and my guess is the ones you are looking at are where the plug wires are permanently attached to the coil. They do run around 125 each and used ones have no guarantee of success. Most cases if you buy those coils you can not return them. Get the manual first and maybe after testing you will find they are the problem. Could be a hack wiring job. Having two different size coils tells me someone maybe tried and automobile coil. Others here will help. Good luck

hope761fish

Cadet
Re: 1968 55hp chrysler

Thanks, but the coils that goes to the motor on one end it have a positive and negative terminals and the other end the spark plug wire is separate from the coil, i would not rule out the wirering problem, i am trying to buy a book(schematic) now, so far i only found a part manual which i already have, i want to buy the coils, i was just hoping i could find them cheaper than 125.00 each, one of the coils on the motor is to big for the bracket to close properly , I was hoping someone knew where i could find a good used working coils, but i am very grateful for the help