Remove transom without removing cap and stringers

legoman67

Chief Petty Officer
Well, I found the transom bad in my 29' carter Safari, the cap is pretty much on for good, and there is no way in hell it will come off. Also the stringers and engine mounts are good so they do not need to come out either. Is there any way to do it other then chiseling it peice by peice? also, should i cut around the stringers, or cut them off an inch or 2 back and then slide a new transom in behind?

here is a pic
n715147349_1060020_7871.jpg

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Remove transom without removing cap and stringers

you could take a router, and set the depth, almost all the way thru, cut the outside as close as you can get. i would try not cutting the stringer, but it may be necessary. if so, then you need to fill in what you cut, and sister a piece of 3/4 ply on each side of the splice, back to the transom. you will still have to chisel some. this can come in handy.

Attachments

• floor scraper.jpg
    floor scraper.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 1

jonesg

Admiral

I would still consider cutting the transom cap ,
it wouldn't be too much work to hide the repair after the transom is done.

Cut vertical slots in the plywood transom, I'd chainsaw the slots, then try levering the smaller sections out with a wonder bar.

You can hear the chainsaw when it touches fiberglass, completely different sound compared to cutting wood. (elec chainsaw).

Cut the sides of the inner hull liner back so you can tab the new plywood into the hull sides, the integrity comes from the corner joint.

There will be some cosmetic repairs after the transom is fixed, no big deal.

With the rear section of the cap off you can leave the engine mounts alone.

I did mine mostly from the top.

Attachments

• Volvo090.jpg
    Volvo090.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 2

jcsercsa

Captain

Yep i agree with jonesg hole hearted , thats the way to go !! If you dont your going to have a really hard time fighting the transom !! John

legoman67

Chief Petty Officer

well, i took jonesg advice sorta, i used a skill saw set at slighty less then the thickness(very slight) and cut big squares, then with the wonderbar i started pulling the squares off.

Making good progress, looks like there have been afew mickeymouse fixes before me, i found saw marks and glue in the middle holding rather large chunks in place..
pics in afew min