Another "What do you think of this boat" question.....

packman35

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am trying to find a good boat for my first boat. I have some pretty big limitations: has to fit in my garage (i.e.17-18'), has to hold at least family of 4, and has to be under $4K. The last requirement is the toughest :(

I have found a potential boat and wanted to get everyone's opinion.

http://raleigh.craigslist.org/boa/933483357.html

It looks to be in fairly good shape from what he shows. He says in email that it runs fine etc. etc. I am a bit concerned about the OMC engine. Does the S/N he provides give me any information good or bad?

I can't really find any information on Sunbird boats.

He has already dropped the price to $2500 and may go lower depending on how desparate he really is.

What do you all think?

fishmen111

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Another "What do you think of this boat" question.....

Right now, good used boats are a dime a dozen. Keep looking and stay away from OMC I/Os due to the lack of part(s) availability. You should easily meet your requirements looking at Mercruiser, Volvo/Penta or O/Bs there in Raleigh.

packman35

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm in central NC. Suprisingly, there are not that many used boats in good running order for dirt cheap! :)

My budget sucks but unfortunately it is what I have at this time. All I keep finding in my price range have the OMC engines and drives.

Maybe as this recession grows, more will become available.

fishmen111

Chief Petty Officer

You may need to travel a little. I am just a little NE of you, and CL up here is flooded with nice used boats.

180shabah

Rear Admiral

I typically agree with the avoid OMC at all cost crowd but with an "ASKING" price of only $2800 including the galvanized trailer I'd probably look at it. That boat will be no speed demon with the 4 cylinder but will be capable 4mpg +/-.

a70eliminator

Captain

I bought my boat with an OMC v8 Cobra, it was before I knew any better but it turned out to be a good one, I replaced and adjusted the shift cable gave it a complete tune up including a carb rebuild and it's been great so far. It's a 20' Chappy bow rider paid 3500 for it, had to replace a small section of the deck and a bunch of other little stuff, + tires for the trailer, when it was all said and done about a grand is what I had to spend. I don't think I could sell it for 4500 so I'll just have to have lots of fun with it.

packman35

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Went and looked at the boat today. He dropped the priced to a "one day special" of $1500!!

It was in average condition. A lot of the seams were separated but the upholstery was otherwise in pretty good shape. The engine and drive looked clean but were winterized so we couldn't start it. He'll start it if I pay to have it rewinterized if I don't buy it.

The floor seemed solid. There was a large section behind the seats that was like a panel that screwed on. It had a different color carpet. I am guessing it had been replaced at some point in its past. He said it was that way when he got it.

I am really nervous about taking a $1500 chance on the engine running and the stringers not being rotted.

Why is this so hard???:mad:

fishinaddict

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Never buy a boat without running the engine. It seems really weird he just keeps dropping the price. If I were you I would want to launch it and run it a bit see if it is what you want. In this time even 1500 dollars is a lot of money.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Ask how much he will charge you to re-winterize it. If it's a reasonable price to you, then have him start it up. But before you commit to the re-winterize expense, do some simple checks:

- It has a ski locker in the floor. Open it up and with an awl or screwdriver probe the stringers on either side for rot. Remove the engine cover (doghouse) and pull the carpet back and look for rot and probe for soft wood. Do the same stringer check around the motor. Probe the transom as low as possable around the outdrive with the awl also. Anywhere you find soft wood is an indication that there is rot, and just pass it up.

- Check out the transom from the outside. Look for screws that have rust stains running down from them, especially screws that are not rusted. This is a sign that the wood is rotten inside and the tannins are leaking out around screws staining the fiberglass. If possable, remove a screw and probe with the awl for soft wood. Look for wetness inside the screw hole.

The bottom line is if black or dark water comes out any holes you can open up by removing screws, etc, then the transom has advanced rot, and will cost a bit to fix, but even more important, will take a lot of work to fix. Even it it is wet, as long as the wood is light colored, it has not started to rot, and you can get a few years out of it.

If you just want to get on the water, and not do a project, keep looking for a boat in good condition. Project boats are cheap and all over.

freddyray21

Commander

I would stay away from it. OMC parts are hard to find and even harder to find someone who will or can work on them.

ziggy

Admiral

hum, keeps lowering the price ay? either desperate OR he knows something you don't.... starting with it having a omc drive. i'd look else where.
don't ever believe the seller either.... they want to sell their boat...
i'd also not buy w/o a seatrial... running in the driveway isn't under load like in the lake.. google up a list of buying a used boat too. look at a few and find a long detailed one... use it... one by one, item by item. you have to check it out. the seller won't let you in on anything... compression test, gear lub, many other items to check...
when i bought my boat. i did a mornings worth of inspections. screw by screw, top to bottom. ran it on a hose, did compression test. in the afternoon did a 2 hr test thrash. sustained wot, shift. see that everything that does work, did work. back at the shop, one more compression test, drained gear lub and inspected, pressure tested drive.... haggeled a little and bought a boat..
good luck with your adventure..

xxturbowesxx

Chief Petty Officer

Ive been in the market for a new boat now for a few months i've noticed that the Awesome deal happens about once a week. Im just patient until i find the boat i cannot live without. Also older I/O scare me but I guess i'm just and outboard guy. Whatever you do just remember that another deal will pop up sooner than you think you just have to be really patient.

partsman

Cadet

Two other things you should do are check the engine oil. If it is milky, it has a cracked block internally. Also, spin the prop and view the prop shaft as you do it to see if it has been bent by hitting a rock or foreign object. Replacing the prop shaft could be very expensive.

As far as parts go for the OMC Cobras, there are plenty of quality used parts available throughout the country.

EDIT: No selling in forums

Last edited by a moderator:

packman35

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Man, it must be different in other parts of the country than it is here in central NC. I comb ebay and craigslist every day and believe me, the "deals" are hard to come by. Now if I wanted a bass boat, a junker, or an upside down loan ($15k+) boat, there are some - just not many bowriders in the $1-4K range.:mad:

packman35

Petty Officer 2nd Class

yeah, I saw that one. Unfortunately, it is a bit out of my budget (or rather what I am being allowed to spend :( )

I did talk to the guy and he was really vague about the boat and its condition. Given it is a couple grand undervalued, I suspect there is something major wrong with it and he knows it.

But you never know, it may come down a bit if it sits there for a while and I might be able to persuade the boss to increase my budget :)

xxturbowesxx

Chief Petty Officer

im sure he would come off it a few hundred to bring it into your budget. if you run a compression test,take it out on the water,and look over every nook and cranny. i could find 10 within 100 miles of me for that price or less in the same condition.

180shabah

Rear Admiral

If he was "offering" to let it go for $1500 I think I would have been water testing that thing and probably trying to go a little lower still. It's sittin' on a galvanized trailer so at that price it is hard (but still possible) to go wrong.

packman35

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well, someone got to it before I had a chance to go back and give a second going over.:mad:

If you believe in destiny then it probably wasn't meant to be anyway. Something didn't feel quite right. He seemed a little too anxious to get rid of it!!

Back to the search.:eek:

Any opinions on a 93 FW Freedom 180 w/ 115 Evinrude for $2500?

UnregisteredUser

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Man, it must be different in other parts of the country than it is here in central NC. I comb ebay and craigslist every day and believe me, the "deals" are hard to come by. Now if I wanted a bass boat, a junker, or an upside down loan ($15k+) boat, there are some - just not many bowriders in the $1-4K range.:mad:
Use this little tool to widen your search...JUST DO NOT SELECT ALL....:rolleyes:

http://crazedlist.org/index.cgi?ocat=&catAbbreviation=&oareas