Engine removal for transom rebuild

chum bucket

Cadet
I recently purchased an older 21' Starcraft Aluminum boat. It is a 1973 vintage in good shape except for a dry rot transom.
I am presently in the process of removing the 140 hp mercruiser engine to have access to the transom. I have removed the outdrive. I will be left with the gimbel housing removal and replacement after new transom is installed.
My question is does anyone have any suggestions to make the operation of the rest of the removal and replacement smooth. My plan is to use the old transom as a template for the holes needed to replace the outdrive. Then I will use an alignment tool. Will this work or do I need to be more exact for the proper function of the Gimbel bearing? This is my first attempt at an engine and outdrive removal, all help appreciated.
Thanks Jake

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Engine removal for transom rebuild

My question is does anyone have any suggestions to make the operation of the rest of the removal and replacement smooth. My plan is to use the old transom as a template for the holes needed to replace the outdrive. Then I will use an alignment tool. Will this work or do I need to be more exact for the proper function of the Gimbel bearing? This is my first attempt at an engine and outdrive removal, all help appreciated.

Ayuh,...

Back when I did My 74 Starcraft,...
I used the old transom to pattern the outside dimensions of the replacement,+ the cut-out in the aluminum to pattern the Holes....
And then of course the alignment bar to re-align the motor to the transom assembley...

chum bucket

Cadet
Re: Engine removal for transom rebuild

Thanks for the feedback, lot of good information obtained in the threads received. Jake