Trailer tire pressure

JB25VIP

Seaman
I was going to see what everyone thinks about trailer tire pressure

I have a ski boat that the combined weight of the trailer and boat is about 4200 pounds, the previous owner told me he always ran 35 pounds. The tires bend a little more than i would like at 35 pounds.

The sticker on the trailer says run 50 pounds, but 50 pounds seems like a bit much to me?

what does everyone think?

Thanks a lot!

D

DJ

Re: Trailer tire pressure

This whole issue depends on how good you are at trailer maintenance?

I, personally, run my tires a little "soft". However, I know my bearings are "tip-top" and my tires are good. I say that with a caveat. That is, that when I hit an AZ highway at 110 F, I inflate them more. I cannot afford any more heat buildup, at those ambient temps. Underinflated tires build heat-QUICKLY. For me, on a ten mile tow it's not an issue.

My "soft" pressure is for towing locally because we have some serious dips and holes here. I'd rather replace a tire than a spring or a boat repair.

That is MY opinion-ONLY.

If you have a heavy boat, as you do, INFLATE THEM TO MAX. and go on.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

I agree with DJ. A lighter boat and short tows 35 is probably not going to be an issue.If you run at highway speeds for any amount of time keep 50psi in them for sure.
90% of tire failure is due to under inflation.
If this is a single axle trailer 50psi and nothing else.

Rocky_Road

Lieutenant Commander

DJ is 'dead nuts on'...!

Underinflation will destroy a tire...at highway speeds.

Your situation would call for 45 lbs (cold)...minimum!

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

I wouildn't go by a sticker on a trailer. Tires change over time. Stickers don't. Inflate to the maximun pressure imprinted on the tire.

FWIW: I'm running radials on a 6300 lb trailer and the max. tire pressure as stated on the tires is 35 psi

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

There are a number of tire pressure vs load capacity charts on the web. Weight must include the boat, motor, fuel, the trailer itself, and anything in the boat. The point here is that if the load is approaching the maximum the tire can safely carry, the tire had better be inflated to its maximum as stated on the side of the tire. A lightly loaded trailer can certainly be towed at less than maximum pressure but why do that. The next time you use the trailer you may load it up and overload the tires. My view is that a tire inflated at something less than its maximum (regardless of load) is in more danger of damage from pot holes or debris on the road than one that is inflated to its maximum recommended pressure and it is subject to greatly increased heat build up and resulting cord separation.

ebry710

Ensign

I wouildn't go by a sticker on a trailer. Tires change over time. Stickers don't. Inflate to the maximun pressure imprinted on the tire.

FWIW: I'm running radials on a 6300 lb trailer and the max. tire pressure as stated on the tires is 35 psi

There is no way that a trailer sticker should override the tire manufacturers specs. Tire manufacturer's rating is on the tire.

If the trailer stick says to inflate a tire to 50#'s, then buy a tire rated for 50#'s

salty87

Commander

agreed...50 psi

more load on the tow vehicle at lower pressures. on some ramps that might not make a difference, on some it will.

more sag on the sidewall will also speed deterioration...in my mind at least. you can look at a tire that's been run too low and see the wear on the sidewall where it really shouldn't be.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The load rating printed on the tire requires the pressure printed on the tire to be valid. Running a lower pressure degrades the load rating.

I always inflate to the pressure printed on the tire, even when the actual load is way below the load rating.

In your case that is 50psi.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

lower pressure cause the tire to heat up. the are designed to run at the pressure on the tire. #1 reason for tire failure, other than puncture, is under-inflated.

180shabah

Rear Admiral

50lbs in season and 60lbs for winter storage - reduces flat spotting.

drrpm

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Trailer tires have stiffer sidewalls than car tires. They also generally take higher pressures. If you see bend in the sidewall they're underinflated. That flex will significantly decrease the life span of the tires. My tires say 65lbs. so thats what I try to keep in them.

JB25VIP

Seaman

ok guys thanks for all the help i'm just wondering now how much damage (if any) this guy did by running the tires at 35 all that time........? any easy way to tell? or just wait till one blows out, then you know...haha, 50 lbs it is!

salty87

Commander

he didn't do them any favors but the reality is that more trailer tires are under inflated than correctly inflated...i think that's a pretty safe bet. aiming for 35psi and being under-inflated from there is worse obviously.

tires don't last forever though. how old are they?

krakatoa

Senior Chief Petty Officer

My boat is not that heavy but I mantain my trailers tires in 32 PSI, also keep in mind the condition of the road you trailer on... If the tire is too hard then you will get a bouncing boat :eek:all the way down