Water pump and lower unit ?

Hello everyone. I have a 1992 Evinrude 15 hp motor that I recently purchased and decided to change the impeller. I have took apart the lower unit and everything went fine, however when I inspected the lower unit there was a lot of dirt or gime in it. It wasn't around the waterpump housing but by the shift rod. Is there any way to clean all of this out without taking it apart any further. Also the reason I am changing the impeller is because I thought it had quit working but it looked really good except for the grommet on top of the housing, the rubber had broken off, would that cause it not to work properly. Thanks.

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral
Re: Water pump and lower unit ?

Hot, soapy water, and an old paint brush works good for clean up. The grommet was probably snagged by the edge of the water tube when installed. This could restrict water flow.

Is there anything in the lower unit that I should be careful of getting water in, or just clean the whole thing with soap and water and let dry really good?

Rick.

Captain

You can usually clean the grime of with some spray cleaner and a hose. Paint thinner will work as well. If the grommet was broken off enough to cause it to leak, much of the water that should go up the water tube can leak out at the grommet and give the impression the impeller is bad. You should replace the grommet and the impeller unless you have replaced the impeller in the past year, two at the most. I know on the early 80's motors the grommet is different between the 9.9 and the 15 so make sure to check that out when ordering. Good luck. Rick.
I'm a slow typer. Nothing to worry about in terms of getting things wet.