Anode

noah4009

Petty Officer 1st Class
I am doing a couple of things to my Chrysler 55hp, 1971. One is change the LU gasket. I keep reading on these forums something about an anode. What, where is this, and what is its purpose?
Thanks

mthieme

Captain
Re: Anode

Typically, the anode is a small skeg bolted to the bottom of the cavitation plate just above and behind the propeller. It's job is to repel galvanic corrosion.
Having said that, It's been a long time since I've seen a Chrysler, so I'm not sure about your specific application. There are other crew memebers with Chrysler who will jump in and verify.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

The anode is a piece of zinc cast in whatever shape wanted. It is more electrically active than the engine aluminum and so preferentially corrodes, saving the engine.---maybe.

The 55 did not have a factory installed anode. They were only on the larger one piece lower unit engines behind the prop.

If you wanted, You could add a small flat zinc on the ventilation plate. Just be certain it has good contact with bare metal for protection--otherwise it is useless.

mrwiggles2

Seaman

The anode is a piece of zinc cast in whatever shape wanted. It is more electrically active than the engine aluminum and so preferentially corrodes, saving the engine.---maybe.

The 55 did not have a factory installed anode. They were only on the larger one piece lower unit engines behind the prop.

If you wanted, You could add a small flat zinc on the ventilation plate. Just be certain it has good contact with bare metal for protection--otherwise it is useless.

Frank, did the 70hp models have one? Just thinking after I completed the seal and pump kits, I never saw anything that I took to be an anode.