Starter Engaging Problem

gregmercer

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a problem with my Evinrude 25hp outboard. It is an older motor (i think early 80's) and it starts fine with the electric start, runs well until you rev it up to about half throttle. Then the gear on the starter motor pops up and grinds against the flywheel. Does anyone know why this is happening? The gear engages when I start it, then it goes back down and stays there until I rev the motor up high.... Its the weirdest thing...

Any help is greatly appreciated!!! Thanks!!

Greg

rolmops

Vice Admiral
Re: Starter Engaging Problem

It sounds weird,but the problem is simple.
When you rev up the engine with your remote controls,you short out the switch in the remote causing the starter to engage.I would not at all be amazed if there are a few loose screws in your remote.
If the problem is not on that end, then it is on the engine end.Again the remote cable pushes something near the starter solenoid causing the starter to engage.
In either case ,it is not just the starter sprocket coming up.It is the starter engaging.this can easily burn out your starter,so it is a good idea to take care of it.All you need is a little bit of detective work to find out what end of your cable the problem is on.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

agree either the bendix, is not coming all the way down on release, or the starter is engaging, and throwing the bendix, up into the flywheel.

gregmercer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for your help, I got it fixed, just a loose wire!