How to safely fill you permanent gas tank

mthieme

Captain
Still thumbing through a manual and ran across another little tidbit.

"When refueling, always ground fuel nozzle to the inlet fitting on the boat to prevent the build-up of electrostatic sparks. If you use a funnel, make sure it it's metal and ground the fuel nozzle to the funnel".

Generally, this might sound like a good idea. But what is the metal fuel inlet fitting grounded to? I can't recall ever seeing a ground wire running to any of these...am I wrong?

It goes on - here's a real pearl...
"If you smell gasoline in the engine compartment...find it's source and stop the leakage."
Duh.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: How to safely fill you permanent gas tank

Generally, this might sound like a good idea. But what is the metal fuel inlet fitting grounded to? I can't recall ever seeing a ground wire running to any of these...am I wrong?

Ayuh,...

Marine Fill Hose has a wire running thru it to bond the fill housing to the fuel tank, which is bonded to the driveline/groundplain...

Even Plastic fuel tanks should be Bonded...

That's the same reason that 5gal. gas cans should never be filled sitting in the back of your pickup,or car, but actually sitting on the Ground...

mthieme

Captain

AHA, you're right.
I forgot about that.
Why was I thinking separate external ground wire?

arks

Lieutenant Commander

My boat has a separate bonding wire attached to each fill (I have 2). They run to a tab on the aluminium gas tanks, which are bonded to the large anode on the outside of the hull (below the waterline) on the transom.

As far as a funnel, I occasionally use a plastic "filter funnel" and I'm very careful not to touch any metal part of the boat after filling. Any static build-up will be released when the nozzle goes back into the pump (which is grounded). IMO it's a safe procedure as long as the person at the nozzle is aware of the potential problem.

mthieme

Captain

Great, another spammer.
Bob - get out the dynamite!

kandil

Chief Petty Officer

do yo fill your boat in the water or on land? I use the local gas station in the way to the water should I hang a chain to the outboard and have it touching the ground? or the ground from the trailer wiring to the truck takes care of that?
Hi arks you said
They run to a tab on the aluminium gas tanks, which are bonded to the large anode on the outside of the hull (below the waterline) on the transom. that means the ground only works if you are in the water right?my question is
How do you fill up safely in the way to the water? in the street not in the water thanks
Happy holidays

Bondo

Staff member

How do you fill up safely in the way to the water?

Ayuh,...

That's Why you should make Sure the fill nozzle is touching the Fill plate....

The vendor's gas pump is Grounded,+ as long as the nozzle is touching your fill plate, so is your fuel system,..
Provided your fuel system is properly bonded of course...