mercruiser gas milage question

rainman240cs

Seaman Apprentice
Hi all. I have a 24' mid-cabin cruiser(1999 stingray 240cs) with a 5.7 litre efi that I haven't run in the water yet.(just picked it up in late october) Can anyone tell me approximately how many miles/hours I can get out of a full tank? (65 gal. capacity) We're used to running our 19' 3.0 litre and I'm wondering how much more this is gonna cost me to run this summer! I'm thinking at least twice as much?

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
Re: mercruiser gas milage question

We're used to running our 19' 3.0 litre and I'm wondering how much more this is gonna cost me to run this summer! I'm thinking at least twice as much?

In the words of Bondo - "Ayuh" ;) I would guess at LEAST twice as much.

I have a Sportcraft 242 Walkaround with a 5.7 liter - it is a big heavy boat and sucks the fuel compared to the boat my Dad used to have - an 18' Sportcraft bow rider with a 3 liter engine. That was a very fuel efficient boat.

Bondo

Staff member

In the words of Bondo - "Ayuh" ;) I would guess at LEAST twice as much.

Ayuh,...

Considering that the 3.0l is almost exactly 1/2 the motor of the 350,....
I believe that quote is Correct......:)

QC

Supreme Mariner

Considering that the 3.0l is almost exactly 1/2 the motor of the 350,....
Annnnd, the old boat is about half the new boat . . .

To answer your initial question there is actually pretty good data on Stingray's site. This is showing a best of 3.61 MPG for your boat with the 5.7. I would figure 3.0 as a decent average and use 2.0 for calculating a very conservative range: 65 x 2MPG = 130 miles. This would give a safe 1/3 out (65 miles), 1/3 in and 1/3 reserve that is a common rule of thumb . . .

Have fun, I think those Stingray's are a tremendous value.