Electric Guitars

puddle jumper

Captain
Thinking of getting my 11year son a electric guitar for Christmas. He does not know how to play and will be getting lessons. What should i look for in buying one?

scipper77

Commander
Re: Electric Guitars

One thing to look for is the amount of space between the frets and the strings. I believe this is referred to as the action of the guitar. If there is too big of a gap it will be more difficult to play.

wildmaninal

Lieutenant Commander

Well I was going to suggest an Ibanez, but being it's for an 11 year old that might not be the ideal thing. I own an Ibanez and it is a nice electric guitar.

If it was me I would see if walmart still carries those youth starter guitars and start with that. Reason being is because you don't know if he's going to stick with it or what, this way you wouldn't be out that much money. Kid's now a days are into guitar hero for their game system and all that jazz.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

For a starter electric guitar, you are going to want to buy something inexpensive. This is, of course, to determine his long term interest, before spending a bunch of money. The good news is that there are plenty of inexpensive electrics available. For example, you can buy a bottom end Fender Squire or Ephiphone for under $100.00.

The choice of an electric for a beginner is good because the hardest part of the first learning period, is getting your fingers conditioned in terms of a couple of things - calluses and finger dexterity. Since electrics use much lighter strings than acoustic guitars do, and they are setup much closer to the fretboard, the electrics are eaier to play.

As with any other cheap product, you just want to buy the best instrument that you can for the money. Look at overall construction, fit and finish and apparent durability. Bear in mind that, for $100, you are at the bottom end of what can be purchased, but some models are better than others.

One of the most prevalent issues with cheap guitars is "intonation." This refers to the ability of the guitar to play notes that are in tune, throughout the scale range. The easiest way to check for this is to start with a guitar that is in tune with all strings open - meaning that you haven't placed your finger on any of them at any fret position. Now start with the bottom string (E) and depress it at the first fret. Play the note and listen for it to remain in tune. Following that, play a note at each fret position, all the way to the body of the guitar. Usually you will find intonation problems higher up on the neck. You can repeat this process on all of the strings.

For a hundred bucks, you are most likely going to find some intonation problems somewhere, but you can try to minimize it. You also do this check for every instrument that you consider buying, not just by brand. Again, this is a cheap guitar we are talking about, and quality control isn't going to be great no matter who made it - there is going to be variation from guitar to guitar.

The choice to buy from a national chain of music stores v. a local music store, can be partly a function of what each has available, and your comfort level with the sales people, In either case, you want to find someone who you trust to help you through the process. Sometimes the chains can beat the local guys on price, but that isn't always true. I have a buddy who owns a store and he prices most of what he sells based on catelog prices. He will meet or beat the catelogs, but offers local availability.

Here's a site that you can look at to learn some things about guitars. Click on the link for "electric repairs" and you will see a bunch of sublinks for various issues. By reading through them, you will learn quite a bit about guitars and the things that affect them.

http://www.fretnotguitarrepair.com/default.htm

As a final thought, be careful about buying super cheap guitars - they will have terrible intonation and setups, and will be generally hunks of junk. Frankly, you'd be better off not buying him anything, rather than one of those. The reason for this is that he is quite likely to be turned off by the lousy sound and playing characteristics - especially if the instrument is hard to play.

i386

Captain

IMO, don't get the cheapest thing you can find. Guitars are hard enough to play as it is. Cheap ones are even harder for beginners. They are hard on the fingers and difficult to keep in tune. He'll be discouraged from the get go. I'd recommend an Ibanez in the $450 range (RG or S series) or a used one that was in that range new. Just make sure the neck isn't warped. You can also ask the instructor for a recommendation. Skimping on the amp is bad too. It's not very inspiring to play on something that sounds like crap. Line6 makes some decent entry level amps that won't leave you broke.

Guitar + Case
Strap
Line Cord
Guitar Stand
Music Stand
Tuner
Amp

wildmaninal

Lieutenant Commander

I'd recommend an Ibanez in the $450 range (RG or S series) or a used one that was in that range new. Just make sure the neck isn't warped. Line6 makes some decent entry level amps that won't leave you broke.

I half to say, as I mentioned earlier I own an Ibanez, it is an RG170 series. The RG series guitars seem to have alot of good reviews.

You can do another one also.... do like I did and buy a Line 6 guitar port to hook up to the computer so he can record his sessions, download tones and lessons, etc etc. They charge a small fee per month for the online membership.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

If he likes the guitar and wants to continue, you can go looking for a better guitar for next year. If you end up looking around for one, don't forget to peruse the classifieds, Craigslist, etc. You can sometimes find some incredible deals there because sometimes people have no idea what they have in their possession, after "Uncle Louie" dies and the relatives start selling off his stuff.

As far as amps to start with, I think I would stick with a practice amp. It is true that they don't sound all that great, but they're inexpensive. One of the well known names when they hit the market was Pignose, but I'm sure that there are many other brands these days.

ThumbPkr

Petty Officer 1st Class

I would,as suggested,select his teacher first and ask for his recommendation for a first guitar.I bet he will know of some students who may have changed their mind as to their choice of instruments to study or having given it up completely and might have a nice instrument for sale.If there were problems with intonation the teacher would know about it.
I don't play much these days but I do enjoy playing the classical guitar because the nylon strings are much easier on the fingers.The disadvantage with the classical is the wider neck which can be a handicap for the smaller hands but it is great exercize for the wrists and fingers,my electric plays so much easier after I have been practicing on my classical.
Another advantage of the classical is that it is self contained,no amps to cart around and they have a fantastic sound.
I had no idea that you could buy a Fender for $100.00,I sure would like to have an old Telecaster just for giggles.:)Ron G

ziggy

Admiral

i agree with all that's been said....
my 1st guitar was a harmony stella..... while valueable these days. it just about killed me to learn to play it... it was never in tune and the strings were way to far off the fretboard to be playable. even after i learned it was had to play the stella. made my fingers bleed...
so i'd go for something that holds its tune + is easy on the fingers to hold the strings down on the fretboard.
perhaps consider a used guitar. i can't remember what i paid for what i got now. but it wasn't to much. a gibson L6... i think it's considered a jazz guitar. has 2 full octaves and the neck is narrow and is easy to push the stings down. what made mine worthless was that someone had put aftermarket pickups on it... devalued it. but it still plays like a gibson L6...
i also picked up a old '63 harmony electric awhile back. 125 for a amp and a guitar. is amazing how much better the harmony electric is compared to the stella. holds it's tune, easy to play.... + its cool.
so look for used, easy to play and holds it's tune.... just like everyone says....

I sure would like to have an old Telecaster just for giggles.:)
that sounds like a good idea....;) short of what their worth now... :(

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

II had no idea that you could buy a Fender for $100.00,I sure would like to have an old Telecaster just for giggles.:)Ron G

Don't we all wish we could buy a vintage Telly for that, instead of the thousands that they can fetch these days!

The guitars that I am talking about are "official knockoffs." They're sold by Fender, but they are copies made in places like Korea and Mexico. You're not going to find quality tuners. etc. on these guitars.

You can also ask the instructor for a recommendation.

This is an excellent suggestion. Another thing about seeking the advice of a local guitar teacher is that he/she is likely to know the good shops and/or sales people in the area. I'll second the idea to go find a good guitar teacher for advice now and lessons later.

NSBCraig

Lieutenant Commander

You really want to make sure you get him a decent guitar or your wasting both your time.

Absolutely do not get him a guitar wit a tremolo style bridge (whammy), the most important thing is his ability to tune it and stay in tune.

Check out musician's friend .com I buy from there all the time. They'll beat anybody's price with no tax or shipping.

They have a Dean EVO XL for $119 that's a nice guitar I have a friend who has been playing one for years. Also look at the ESP EC-50 for $199 with the tobacco sunburst finish. No they are not as good as my Les Paul but I'd buy either for a backup.

I'd forget about looking on craigs list or ebay or above all don't go to a pawn shop. Unless you really know guitars (odds are you wouldn't be asking if you did) your gonna get burned.

Kiwi Phil

Commander

Been down this same road recently, and I know nothing about guitars.

He started on an accoustic.
Yes the fret board is wider etc, but kids don't understand things like that and just learn with what they have.
Very portable too, and no time wasted in setting them up to use....so practice time was just that....no getting gear ready, leads not working because they have been damaged etc.....believe me, it happens.

When it came time for an electric, his teacher advised a Fender Stratocaster over all others....something to do with the 5-way switch and controls.

I clearly remember him saying:

"if the cost of a Fender is an issue, get the Squirer (cheap version by Fender) in the package (guitar, lead, amp etc). They are very good for their money and will last".

"Ask him what colour he wants.....if he wants red and you buy blue, it will never be right".

"there are plenty of 2nd hand ones....kids (and adults) that bought one and never used it.....just don't pay close to new price as there are a lot out there and they are hard to get your money back on".

Cheers
Phillip

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

Acoustics are OK too, but I think with a teenager, you have to figure out a way to get them interested in the sort of music that is associated with them. Kids are into todays version of rock, so they tend to gravitate towards instruments that are used for that style of playing.

I am more a fan of acoustics guitars, but I also grew up in the "hippie, folk music era,' when they were considered cool. Trying to tell a young kid that he should worship guys like Tommy Emannuel or James Taylor, isn't likely to work too well. Then again, get them to listen to Monte Montgomery some time! :D

Try this out ... this is from a project Monte did with Daryl Hall. BTW, yes, Monte's guitar is beat up to the max on the soundboard. Its an Alvarez Yari that he has had for about 20+ years. He has actually broken the neck on it about three times!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8efuFzG0z_s

ziggy

Admiral

mighty hip link there jay......

if that cat don't inspire a young guitar player... i don't know who would....

least i was impressed....

204 Escape

Ensign

Well, here is my $0.02 worth. I have played guitar, for over 45 years. I presently have/play a FENDER Telecaster. I own an autographed Martin D-35 acoustic guitar (autographed, by George Jones), a 25th aniversary Alverez, a YAMAHA classic, and a Bently Tele copy.

Depending on the size of your kid, I'd give consideration to the Telecaster, because:
1) Thickness of the body
2) Width of the neck

These, IMO, are 2 of the most important considerations to purchasing a beginning guitar.

A cheap guitar, has ALWAYS been a problem to play, (height of strings more than anything).

Even when I sold guitars, the purchaser, wouldn't give the bucks for a decent guitar. THEN when the kid didn't learn to play it, they said well, I am glad I didnt spend the $$ for an expensive guitar. (MAYBE if the idiots had of spent a few $$ the kid C O U L D have learned to play the guitar). (Hell, a pro couldn't stand to play the cheap guitar they bought !!!!!!!!!!

Kust my opinion.

P.S. Musicians Friend has alot of good buys on their guitars. AND, you can get a good deal on hand held tuners as well. They use to sell a guitar chord computer, that was about $20.00 I have one, and they are worth the money !!!!!!!!!

Good Luck to the student !!!!!!!!!

puddle jumper

Captain

This is what ive learned so far.

Go with a solid wood body. Plywood can be ok but stay away from fiber board.

The strings should only be about 2 quarters width from the neck.Any farther and it almost impossible to play.

Try to stay away from one with a whammy bar due to it makes it hard to keep in tune.

Electric is easier to play than an acoustic due to the neck width and strings distance from the neck.

And last if the guy selling the Guitar cant tune it he shouldnt be selling it

did i miss anything?

Thanks for you input

ziggy

Admiral

i'll reiterate this...
A cheap guitar, has ALWAYS been a problem to play, (height of strings more than anything).
i agree with that..... my stella was most discouraging to learn to play on.... something that holds its tune is good too. my stella didn't do that either.... that's also discouraging.....
i'd like to have a telecaster... i've played a few and they sure do play easy.... kinda pricey now adays though..... sure wish i had one.... mighty stylish....

the tuner i'm less convinced of.... i think either ya hear pitch or ya don't... it's natural for people one way or the other. if you don't hear pitch. you'll probably not do well playing music in any form....

i386

Captain

He probably won't need a tremolo (whammy) right away. Staying in tune with a tremelo requires a good tremelo and a locking nut. It adds a little more complexity to tuning. I've always had one so I don't think much about it. For a beginner, it's safe to omit that feature unless the instructor thinks the student needs it. Tremolo or fixed both have their advantages.

Picture removed. PM Me if you want to see a tremolo and locking nut on a guitar.

S2170FB with ZR Tremolo and Locking Nut. It stays in tune. As a matter of fact, I've never owned a guitar with tremolo and locking nut that didn't stay in tune. But there are other disadvantages.

ThumbPkr

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have never had a problem with my Gretsch Country Gentleman staying in tune either.It has the Bigsby tailpiece that they all came with when new.
I bought mine in the late '60s,in fact it is the only one I have ever seen with a four digit serial number.Ron G

scipper77

Commander

If you want to up the odds that he will stay interested maybe even get an effects pedal. you can add custom distortion, reverb, delay. Helps to make a beginner with limited skills sound a little better. Plus gives him something to play around with if practicing the same 5 chords gets boring in the beginning.