Engine question

stepper

Recruit
Recently purchased 2 yr old Fisher 24ft c/w 26" toons, and 40hp merc elpto. Rated to 150hp. Lakes froze over prior.
Have option to buy either 90hp Merc optimax, or 115EFI Merc 4 stroke, both still in crate from out of state dealer.
Lakes here bigger and open, need speed for safety. Which engine would you suggest?
I would have no problem switching either engine myself, how big a deal would it be to PDI either of these new engines?
Thanks - great forum here. Lots to read.
stepper

mthieme

Captain
Re: Engine question

Personally, I would go with the bigger one.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

You didn't say what year these engines were but if they are current or last years production, either one would be a great choice but my preference for a pontoon is a 4-stroke EFI although you might want to check the HP capacity plate to ensure you don't over power creating potential "legal issues".

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

he is rated for 150hp definately the 4 stroke.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Difference in speed won't be much but any EFI is hard to argue with.
Generally the 4 stroke will have more frequent,more complicated service intervals.

stepper

Recruit

Thanks guys. Both engines are 2008's. He has also offered a 2008 90hp ELPTO for quite a bit less. Whats your opinion of this engine / performance.
The boat will weigh approx 2200 + engine I think. 26" tubes. Would like to get 20 - 25mph out it. Think the ELPTO would get there?
Stepper

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Speed will be in that range with either motor. The newer Opti's are ok. Some of the older ones had fairly serious issues but those bugs have been worked out. Make sure the dealer installs a pontoon prop so the engine doesn't lug. Two strokes don't like that.

D

DJ

As a comparison.

We have two 22' Starcrafts. Both with Merc. 75's.

One two stroke, the other four stroke.

The two stroke uses about one half/one third more fuel than the fourstroke. Plus, the four stroke is EFI. No "fiddling" during start up.

Both engines are flawless. The two stroke has over 1000 hours.

Top speed (both) is in the 26 MPH range with a LIGHT load.

Put four or five people on board and that drops dramatically.

Buy as much HP as you can afford and YES, prop. it correctly.

The ONLY complaint I have with either Merc. engine is that I think the binnacle mount (same for both) controls are a bit "cheesy". They just don't have a solid feel.