gear lube resevoir

torcano

Chief Petty Officer
My boat has been winterized and the sterndrives have been removed and stored for the winter. I noticed that the resevoirs that hold the gearlube for the outdrives are full. I thought this fluid would drain out when the outdrives are removed but obviously I am mistaken. Part of the service package I am paying for at my marina was to remove and store the outdrives and change the fluid. Does the fluid get changed when the sterndrives are put back in the spring or was it already changed and stays in the resevoir over the winter? My marina services hundreds of boats and has been doing it for years. I'm sure they know what they are doing but I am curious as to how the drives get serviced.
Thanks

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: gear lube resevoir

My boat has been winterized and the sterndrives have been removed and stored for the winter. I noticed that the resevoirs that hold the gearlube for the outdrives are full.

There is a quick disconnect valve in the bellhousing that closes when the drive is off. This keeps the gear lube from draining out the hose.
Best to just remove the reservoir, empty and clean it out. The Hi Performance gear lube builds up a sludge in the bottom over time. A once a year cleaning keeps the sludge out.

Part of the service package I am paying for at my marina was to remove and store the outdrives and change the fluid. Does the fluid get changed when the sterndrives are put back in the spring or was it already changed and stays in the resevoir over the winter?

Ask them, all it's doing is sitting there, it could be done at either time (IF they do it at all)

I'm sure they know what they are doing but I am curious as to how the drives get serviced
We have no idea how YOUR DEALER does it.

chiefalen

Captain

Wish you would have posted before they took off the drives.

I would have told you to mark them in a place they wouldn't see, or stamp them somehow.

That way you would know your getting YOUR drives back.

They should change the fluid now.

And than put the drives on next year.

Don't ask me why i would tell you to mark them, but i know some techs that work for marinas here.

TilliamWe

Banned

your marina probably wouldn't drain the bottle and clean it out as part of their service. they should, though, for the sludge reason DonS mentions. More than one guy with a full reservoir bottle thought he was okay, but his drive was really leaking lube and got destoyed. That Merc fluid sludges up to the point that the bottle won't drain into the drive if it's needed.

torcano

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for you replies. My impression is that this is a honest marina. I have heard from several sources that they do good work and I've not heard any complaints. I know someone who has kept and serviced his boat there for over 10 years. I will talk to them about if the gearlube was already changed. Perhaps I am niave, but I can't imagine they would switch my sterndrives.
Cheifalen, it's over at Comstock Marina/Yacht Sales over in Brick. Have you heard of them? They seem very professional. I'll stop down there and talk to the service manager tomorrow.

chiefalen

Captain

I'm not calling anyone dishonest, i'm just saying i would have marked them in some way.

I can ask around about them ill get back to you.

torcano

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks. Not much I can do about it now. If you see me floating around in Sandy Hook Bay without power, I'll assume they didn't do a good job.:)

chiefalen

Captain

If that happens, get on the radio and call for me channel 67.

Check your pm i'm giving you my cell #, that way if i'm not on the water, and i have friends on the water, i'll send them to come and get ya.

180shabah

Rear Admiral

...but I can't imagine they would switch my sterndrives...

It may not be intentional.

In the spring one tech yells to another - I need two bravo1's over here......

torcano

Chief Petty Officer

I'll take them. I only have alpha ones on mine.:)