Shift Cable Problem

QSS

Seaman
hi guys i have a alpha 1 gen2 mercruiser that keeps stalling when changing fwd to rev i have put it down to a sticking lower shift cable? does this sound correct? also what does the cutout switch actually do is it to cut the ignition out for that split second on gear change or? any help would be appreciated?

JustJason

Vice Admiral
Re: Shift Cable Problem

you nailed your problem on the head.... time to change out the cable.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

also what does the cutout switch actually do is it to cut the ignition out for that split second on gear change or? any help would be appreciated?

I agree that you need to replace the lower shift cable more than likely.

The shift interrupt switch does exactly what you describe. The dog clutch is undercut so that it will not come out of gear without releasing the load. A momentary lag in the engine will suffice. As soon as the engine stumbles, it releases the gear and then pressure is then released on the cable as well which allows the switch to return to its centered position. That's the theory anyway! ;) If the cable is tight, then the switch stays in the engaged position too long and the engine dies instead of merely "stumbling."

QSS

Seaman

thanks guys for your quick response

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

If you are planning on keeping that boat for more than a year, I would strongly suggest you get the Mercury OEM cable. It has a teflon coating on the inner cable, and the drive end of the cable turns very easlily, unlike the aftermarket ones.

QSS

Seaman

thanks again don. you wouldn,t happen to know the part number for the lower shift cable on an alpha 1 gen2 at all? or a parts manual where ican find the correct genuine cable? thanks..

chiefalen

Captain

Don gave me the site i'm passing it on to you.

Crowleymarine.com

JustJason

Vice Admiral

i don't have the part numbers in front of me, but just keep this in mind.
the cable kit can be ordered 2 ways.
1. the first way is just the cable and related hardware.
2. the 2nd way is all of the above but it comes with a new shift cable bellow.

if you order just the cable your going to need to order the bellow seperately.
it may be more cost effective to go with #2.... when you order parts seperately they are usually more expensive.

mercruiserparts.com has some pretty good diagrams on it as well.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Iv installed many of these and they do have the teflon coating inside the cable.

How do you know? Did you open up one of them an look. The Teflon cable I am talking about is on the outside of the inner core wire.

Trent

Captain

Thats what I was talking about... Outside the inner core.

chiefalen

Captain

Am i missing something?

84 dollar part vs a few dollars less. You get oem and not have to do it again, for a long time.

After market and maybe next year your doing it again?

Who wants to go thru what you must, to replace the lower cable.

A no brainer here.

This is like a 3 day job. For me anyway.

Maybe a younger guy can do it in 2.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

Am i missing something?

84 dollar part vs a few dollars less. You get oem and not have to do it again, for a long time.

After market and maybe next year your doing it again?

Who wants to go thru what you must, to replace the lower cable.

A no brainer here.

I would consider $83 versus $42 to be a considerable difference. Granted, if the OEM is a better product that will last longer, then it is $41 well spent. But if the aftermarket part is as good as OEM - which is sometimes the case - then I would go with the aftermarket. But to each his own! ;)

This is like a 3 day job. For me anyway.

Maybe a younger guy can do it in 2.

I think you are selling yourself short Chief! It's a little bit of a hassle to change out the lower shift cable - but once you've done one I think most wrench turners could do it in an afternoon of work.