1957 Fastwin 25? Worth a shot

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral
Has anyone here tried this yet? Both have the same cubes, but different carbs and possibly ignition system. The 25hp came out in 1969, but I believe that had the same ignition as the 1957 18hp. The 25 had a bigger carb and wound up higher. What all else would someone need to make it so?:D

That would be kinda cool though and it would be easy enough to make it real.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1957 Fastwin 25? Worth a shot

I'm pretty sure there are too many subtle differences to make it possible, unless you're planning on throwing a LOT of money at it.
The powerheads won't interchange as the 18 had different bosses for the cowling mounts. I suppose you could get around that if you were good with aluminum welding and fabricating.
The powerhead base bolt patterns are similar, but I'm not sure they're 100% interchangeable.
Carburetion will also be an issue as the choke linkages is quite different. Might be able to work around it somehow - back to that fabrication thing again.
Is it possible? Maybe. Practical? Not really....
- Scott

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral
Re: 1957 Fastwin 25? Worth a shot

I have both engines', a 57, 18, and a 75, 25. The problem was to get the 25 to run, and perform as well as the 18. If you made this conversion, you won't be pleased with the difference. Those 18's run just fine, and they seem to run forever.