90 hp Johnson won't stay in gear

Rowan

Cadet
This motor is a late 80's early 90's model. When I put it in forward gear and give it some gas, it makes a loud clicking sound like the gears are barely touching each other and the prop barely pushes the boat even at full (almost full) throttle. At first it made this sound and jumped out of gear, then I adjusted the clutch cable to try to pull it further into forward gear but now it just clicks like it's missing. Any ideas? PS - reverse works fine.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 90 hp Johnson won't stay in gear

disconnect the shift cable and shift the motor by hand. see if it goes in gear. has the lower unit been off lately, could be linkage connection, or shift rod height is off. do not run it till you find the cause. Model # of you motor?

Rowan

Cadet

The boat's in a friend's yard right now and I had called and told him to get me the model number but he only got me the serial # R7833597, but I doubt that helps...I'll post the model number as soon as I get it.

I can get it in gear by hand w/out the clutch cable and I can also get it in gear with the clutch cable, but as soon as I give it gas, it starts the clicking. It will stay in gear at idle.

Rowan

Cadet

Oh, and no, the lower unit has not been off in the 5 years they've owned the engine. Thanks for the help on this one.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

I would next suspect the shift clutch dog and/or forward gear.

When you are putting the unit into gear, the shift linkage force the dog and gears lobes together. If these precisely machined lobes are worn or rounded, they will be forced apart as the RPMS increase.

The wearing of these lobes is usually due to improper shifting by the owner. Be sure to always shift in a quick, sure movement. They can also wear due to improper adjustment or worn shift linkages. This may be the case from the description you provided.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

less get model # so we know exactly what we are talking about.