Please Help Cant Remove Gearbox Case

andrewm

Recruit
Hi There Every All , I Have A Johnson 1991 225 Outboard And Wanted To Change Water Pump . I Have Read Manual Step By Step And Have Seem To Have Siezed Drive Shaft , Was Wondering If Any One Could Suggest A Way To Get Out Of This Problem. Thank U

ezeke

Supreme Mariner
Re: Please Help Cant Remove Gearbox Case

If you have removed seven bolts from the gearcase and correctly disconnected the shift rod, try taking the spark plugs out and turning the flywheel while someone rocks the gearcase gently from side to side and end to end.

[BTW, if it loosens, it will drop]

andrewm

Recruit

well i started the motor and tried that but will try doing that as well

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Did it drop down any at all?

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

There are a few tricks to freeing this up if in fact it is your problem, as Dhadley mentioned, if it did not drop down at all after loosening all bolts, it is likely your problem. If it dropped a 1/4 inch or so, you likely forgot to disconnect the shift rod.

When all is said and done, be sure to grease the splines of the drive shaft with marine grease before reinstallation, and replace the o ring, so that you dont have this problem again!

Benny1963

Lieutenant

wood wedges and pry bar .
look thru my old post on mine it was a nightmare
be sure all the bolts are out
pm me i have a method that is extreme but will work as last measure

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

....and not to belabor a point made earlier, make sure all of the bolts are removed. I have forgotten to remove the 7th bolt that comes down from the top before....

FAV453

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I had the same issue a few years ago stuck drive shaft. I actually pulled the drive shaft out of the gearcase. I had to machine a holder in order to use a slide hammer (borrowed from autozone they have free rental). Came right off.