150 Lower unit ID/Help

Yankee30

Cadet
I am very new to the boating scene. I just purchased a bay boat with a 1995 150hp Ocean Runner on the back. Everything seemed to be ok (compression, water pump, etc) until today. On Sunday I noticed that it was not peeing as strong as it use too after I beached it to get the trailer. I took it home and looked at the intake screen and there was some very small pebbles in the screen but not enough to stop water flow. So I put the muffs to it and fired it up and the pee was good an strong (probably do to the water hose? or maybe some sand got in there). Anyhow I was removing the screen and the bolt broke the plastic nut from the other side. I took the screen over to the Johnson dealer to get an replacement and he said it was not a Johnson Lower Unit. I took my boat over there so he can look at it and he has no clue on what kind of lower unit is on it. He thinks it is some after market or maybe the wrong unit. He asked me some questions if it was hard to get into gear or any noise while shifting it and I told him no. He told me that he can pull the lower unit off (since he thinks the water pump needs replacing) and hopes that he can id the unit or he has a used one there that he can install for about 1400.00 (not an option right now since Xmas is close) I have been searching the net to try to find what kind of aftermarket lower units there is to see if I can get the parts. So the questions I have is:

1. Who makes aftermarket Lower Units?
2. Can another Manufactured (Merc,Force,Yamaha,etc..) fit on the motor without issues? (all bolts are in the lower unit)
3. If I posted up pictures will this help you ID the unit. (on the bottom side of the unit there are the following numbers stamped, 397920 14 cl 57 )

Thank you for any information,
Jim

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: 150 Lower unit ID/Help

Welcome to iboats Jim.

First things first. Post a pic if you are able, and ID'ing it will be easier. Having it pump while on the hose would indicate that the impeller is shot, or there was a restriction in the cooling circuit, since the hose "force feeds" the cooling system. Does it now pump as it should? While it is down, be sure to thoroughally flush the water lines, ensuring no debris is present.

Yankee30

Cadet

Here is the screen

screen.JPG

Lower Unit

lower1.JPG

lower2.JPG

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Tell your dealer to look up a 1985 275 lower unit and see if it looks familiar. You're fine with that unit but I'd be looking for another dealer. Just make sure it's set up to reach 5800-6000 rpm with an average load.

Yankee30

Cadet

Thanks for the help, I looked it up on the evinrude site and it is a match. The only issue is they don't the port side no more so now I have to start searching for it. The part number is 0396228 if anyone knows of a good place to locate parts.

Jim

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Try ordering a 397891. That's both sides in a kit.