Just Purchased

Yuplayin

Recruit
I just purchased my first boat, a 1988 Bayliner Boat 2150 Caprri Cuddy,I'm seeking information,the motor runs very good,the floor seems solid, and the uphostrey is kinda so so, Ive had the boat winterized and can't wait to tinker with it, but were do I start, are there any other owners out there.

gcboat

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Just Purchased

Hey, welcome to the zoo !! Another first time boat owner eh ? Well don't feel too bad we've all made that mistake ourselves before :D .
First off you're gonna' find a lot of good guys with a lot of knowledge about pretty much everything in this forum. Don't be afraid to ask away. I would recommend that if you need some help with your motor - post it in the proper motor section. If you have problems with anything electrical - post it in the electrical section, etc. If you just plop everything here your responses will be a bit limited as not everyone visits this particular site.
Well - where to begin. The good news is that you have a really classic and sharp looking boat - the bad news is the year. If you get a little bored do some reading on Bayliner and the troubles and woes they were going through then. A lot of their workmanship kinda' went downhill to save a penny - bad mistake. The company went through management like wildfire and the rest of their leadership was nowhere to be found.
So the few years that they played " stupid " are right around the year your boat ( and mine ) were made. The biggest problem areas were stringers, transom and general deck layup. A lack of glass and resin made for leaks into the wood causing rot - a lot of it.
A boat may feel solid under your feet but deep down there may be some problems. Now, I'm not at all trying to tell you that your boat is crap and you need to spend a bizzilion dollars on restoration - just pointing out known facts. You can find these all across the net if you want to start digging.
Right now for you the obvious would be start with the very basics. Make certain that your engine and drive are in good shape ( you don't have the L drive do you? ). If all is good there then start the shining and polishing for the summer. Make sure your bilge pump is good and operates correctly. The engine blower is also a must. Check all of your electrical connections for loose or corroded wires and such. Don't forget the battery (s).
As a new boat owner you'll have the temptation to want to start a lot of projects at one time, a definite no - no. Pick one and see it through, then go to the next. If you get too much 'stuff' scattered around it might become a little overwhelming.
All in all you will be on a learning curve. Gather what information you can from this forum and your friends ( that have boats ). Listen, learn and if necessary take a small boating course. They are offered by your local USCG Auxiliary and they can be found in the phone book.
I wish you well and hope you have a most pleasant experience with your new boat.
Again, don't be afraid to ask questions.