How To Get Boat Off Trailer

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral
I want to pull my new project boat (19' T-Bird Cheyenne) off of the trailer, so that I can rebuild the trailer too. I will place it on something along the lines of a series of 6" x 6" blocks, with lateral supports to keep it upright.

I don't have any way to hoist it off, so I'm going to have to pull it off of the trailer somehow. The boat doesn't have padeyes in the transom, and I think it is too heavy to safely remove it that way. I suspect that it would just pull the pad eyes out, if I were to install them for this purpose.

Anyone have any ideas?

legoman67

Chief Petty Officer
Re: How To Get Boat Off Trailer

Not having any Ubolts in the transom will definatly make it more difficult. Ive pulled 30' boats off trailers using a U bolt in the transom. The trick is to lower the tong of the trailer as low as you can(on the ground would be best, if you can lift it back up) this gets the stern as high as it will go. Then block up the stern, and jack the tong of the trailer back up, this brings the stern off the trailer. After that the method will vary depending on the trailer. I know for mine it took repeating of jacking up the bow, pulling until a crossmember, blocking, moving the jack, repeat. but if you can, since its only 19' get afew guys and put a 6x6 under the bow, and have afew guys hold it up well you pull the trailer out, then throw some blocks under it. two blocks at the stern and one in the center of the bow wil hold any boat up fine, as long as they are on solid ground, and are good blocks(stacked crossing 2x4 nailed together is the best)

rockyrude

Lieutenant Junior Grade

as a follow-up to your other thread, remember that should be pretty close to 1500 lb dry. use the jack and pull method. since you plan on rebuilding the boat too, you might consider what i did, i built three cradles one at the stern one at the bow and one midships to hold the hull shape when i pulled the cap. if you don't hold the hull shape, you will need to reinstall the cap to fit the deck correctly.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Getting Boat Off Trailer

you don't need stands.

1/you can lower the tongue to the ground. i would get some 6x6 or old railroad crossties cut the +- 12 inches, now block up the transom. 2/

Raise the tongue of the trailer the back of trailer will drop away from trailer. this is the tricky part. between the cross braces of the trailer block the keel lower trailer, boat will be suspended on the blocks.

3/ pull forward, lift bow again, and reblock i a different place. repeat until trailer is out from under the boat.

4/ to reload, just reverse the procedure.

if you were just working on the bunks, or painting the bottom. you could just do the first 2 steps.

redfury

Commander

If you are trying to figure out how to anchor the boat so it does not go forward with the trailer to slide it off and don't want to use the rear "eyes" if you have them, or if you don't...it's pretty easy. Use the bow eye! Get two ratchet straps, or as many as you need, and chain them together along the hull ( wrap the ratchets with cloth so they don't scratch the hull ) to the back and then hook to your chain or whatever point you are using the fasten the boat to.

legoman67

Chief Petty Officer

yes, these methods work with any boat, but have to use a good anchor, and good cable, i used chain and a tractor with the bucket dug into the ground for mine, not sure what its dry weight is, but it was on a tripple axle trailer..

i had rear U bolts, and a house jack to do it though..

n715147349_836935_7241.jpg

n715147349_836937_7818.jpg

n715147349_836940_8677.jpg

n715147349_836944_9821.jpg