water hose length revisited

ziggy

Admiral
75, mercruiser 1 drive.

i've replaced my water hose going between the bellhouseing and the gimble houseing once before. the replacement got a kink in it the first season.
all i want to do is see the spec of the length of the hose in writing in a service manual. i can't find it. i use sm #2. looked in #1 and #6 too. to no avail. is there a spec?
doing the google, i've seen 14 1/4'' to 13 7/8''..... to top it off. the original hose on my boat is 13 1/2''. i kept the original one i removed. granted it could be the wrong lenght too, but it wasn't kinked..... my guess is best info i could find was that 13 7/8'' was the ticket. but that ended up with the kink. the kinked hose is 13 3/4''. i guess i decided to split the difference. i also contribute the kink to not being able to get the hose all the way onto the bellhouseing nipple. i just want to start with the correct length hose. i can't believe the sm don't seem to specify it.... any one got a page number?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: water hose length revisited

There really wasn't a spec on the length back then. Lot's of thing's didn't have exact specs back then. Put your new hose on at 13 3/4" and put it all the way on. Then hook it to the bellhousing and see if it kinks. Or, get the new Merc hose, PN 4172533 that is 14" long and put it all the way on both fittings. Seems to be a heavier walled hose. Works for me anyway.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,....

Then Try it,... Up, Down, Left,+ Right....
If you get a Kink at anytime, try twisting 1 end or the other, to relieve the Kink....

ziggy

Admiral

thanks fellas. i just felt sure i had read 'somewhere' that the length was 13 7/8'' and wanted to see it again prior to cutting my length. i see the 14'' precut one per dons' pn.
guess i'll go with 13 3/4'' again. the hose i'm gonna use is proper best i can see. quiksilver 32-47642.

good idea on bending it to 'see' if it's gonna kink. good idea on putting it on and seeing too. though that sounds like less fun as ya'd be putting the hose on and off... guess that's better than taking the whole bellhouseing off again and replacing the hose like i'm doing. them bellows were glued on good and most miserable to get off intact. sure hope i get it right this time...

Roman S

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ziggy,
The spec of the hose is 13 7/8. You can shorten it a small amount, if you really need to: to about 13.5. I would not be confortable with 13. Like Bondo said, put it on, try it, twist it, until its right.
Give it a try and good luck/
Roman