Does this outboard fit?

thunnus69

Seaman Apprentice
Once again thanks everyone for helping me out. I'm fixing up a 1961 stamas runabout and a friend gave me a 1960 Evinrude Lark II 40 hp. The boat is rated for up to 50 hp and is in decent shape. My question concerns the Lark II. I would like to know if it is too short for the boat that it is on (see photos).
Thanks,
Joe

http://s482.photobucket.com/albums/rr186/thunnus69/?action=view&current=JoesGymPhotos141.jpg

http://s482.photobucket.com/albums/rr186/thunnus69/?action=view&current=JoesGymPhotos139.jpg

Dunaruna

Admiral
Re: Does this outboard fit?

It does look too short but that could be camera angle. Ideally, the ventilation plate (the plate that the fin is attached to) should be level or slightly above the bottom of the 'V'.

rolmops

Vice Admiral

Yes it is too short.
You are putting a short shaft on a 20 inch transom.
The Lark is a "long" short shaft being all of 18 inches at the cavitation plate.
this means that you are still 2 inches short.
there are extensions for this engine available.That will give you an extra 5 inches.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

actually the larks were 18" short shaft, and the 5" conversion kit to 23" long shaft. 18" was for a 15 " transom, 23" was for a 20" transom. they were lower in the water, because the water pump was higher in the leg, and were not self priming.

yes it is too short but can be converted.

thunnus69

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the replies. Where can I find a conversion kit and is it hard to change out?
-Joe

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

The 5" addition is more than you need, so you will still have to adjust at the transom.

You might want to consider a jack plate instead; the goal is to have the A/V plate parallel to the water on plane and roughly parallel to the bottom of the boat while situated at the right height position.

With the setback of the jack plate, you can run the motor higher than as normally mounted, but you have the option to adjust the height to get the maximum benefit of the motor. http://www.iboats.com/T_H_Marine_Hi...28004620--**********.293299606--view_id.40130

thunnus69

Seaman Apprentice

ezeke,
How hard is it to install the jackplate? To me it looks pretty straight forward and probably easier than converting the motor to a longer shaft length. Excuse my ignorance, but once the jackplate is mounted to the transom does the outboard just clamp on to the plate?
-Joe

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

They are not hard to install, but you have to look at the setback and allow for steering and cables.

There are many kinds to look at that go from just a fixed plate to complete tilt and trim units. It is mainly a question of price. Whatever you choose, go to the manufacturer's site and get their literature before buying.

Adding the long shaft gearcase isn't hard either if you can find a used one at a good price. Sometimes it is better to find a parts motor or call a few salvage yards for the gearcases.