How do you drill holes in glass?

Mark42

Fleet Admiral
I need to drill holes in 1/4" laminated safety glass to mount hinges, latches, etc. How is glass drilled?

NoKlu

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: How do you drill holes in glass?

Try a automotive glass shop. I ran a track hoe a while back and we had a very hard time trying to get a new windshield for it cause we needed a hole in it. Some say it can be done by hand but I've looked around in my area and never found anyone. If I remember correctly you have to grind the hole.Most won't try safety glass cause of the cost if they break it. I'll try google and see if I can come up with something.

wildmaninal

Lieutenant Commander

Don't know if this applies to safety glass also but here is a step by step how to..........

http://www.wikihow.com/Drill-Holes-Through-Glass

NoKlu..... Am I on your ignore list or something? Didn't ya see my post?

Either way Mark, I hope ya find your answer. Sorry Mark I get ya confused with Gary H for some reason, and I started to put his name instead. Not that there is a problem because both of ya are great guys :).

NoKlu

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I was hunt and pecking at the same time you were typing.:D

WizeOne

Commander

If the safety glass is tempered, I think you might be out of luck. Holes need to be drilled/cut/ground before the glass is tempered. This is my understanding so don't hold me to it.

You cannot even cut the glass after it is tempered, this I know for sure.

btw mark, I just got done studying your Sharaproject album. Certainly an undertaking after my own heart. I'm getting anxious to see the end result.

I can see where the glass is an issue but I'm sure you will resolve it.

xtraham

Lieutenant

I did a lot of research on this just out of curiosity, what I did learn was that if the glass is tempered, it takes a specialized glass shop to drill a hole in tempered glass, they do it with a Lazar cutter what ever that is, I also found that many folks have tried with a diamond tip bit only to ruin the glass because it's layered and bonded under extreme heat, it seams some were successful with a water blast machine. So I reckon ya need to call around the glass companies and ask if they are equipped to do the job, I do not know what you are doing but I have used hinges made for glass that have double sided tape and set screws that slid over the edge of the glass

WizeOne

Commander

I did a lot of research on this just out of curiosity, what I did learn was that if the glass is tempered, it takes a specialized glass shop to drill a hole in tempered glass, they do it with a Lazar cutter what ever that is, I also found that many folks have tried with a diamond tip bit only to ruin the glass because it's layered and bonded under extreme heat, it seams some were successful with a water blast machine. So I reckon ya need to call around the glass companies and ask if they are equipped to do the job, I do not know what you are doing but I have used hinges made for glass that have double sided tape and set screws that slid over the edge of the glass

Yeah, even my big old tempered shower doors are hung by two each 1 1/2 wide aluminum clamps. No holes needed.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

I read the links, and did some more searches. I think I'll keep looking for aluminum channel meant to hold 1/4" glass.

Thanks for all the input!

Artpop

Seaman Apprentice

I think I'll keep looking for aluminum channel meant to hold 1/4" glass.

Thats the way to go. I ruined a nice piece of tempered glass trying to put a hole in it with a diamond bit. I made little cubes. Doh. :redface:

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

The glass is not tempered, just laminated, like a car windshield. So its regular glass with plastic between the layers. I don't feel like taking the chance of breaking the glass, so its either frame it, or just bed it down and it won't open.

mickarch

Seaman

Hafele makes great hardware for glass doors if they are small cabinet style doors.

Go here, then click the various links under Furniture/cabinet hardware on the left side for what you are looking for. http://www.hafele.com/us/services/4398.asp

If you are looking for large glass door pivots / hardware, Rixson should have it: http://www.rixson.com/library/catalogs/

Your local builders hardware supplier or glass house should be able to get you what you need either way.

Shizzy

Ensign

Simply put tempered glass has a high surface tension. break the tension and the glass shatters. Beat on it with a blunt object and it wont break easily (ever seen cops trying to bust out a window with their baton on TV?) but lightly tap it with a sharp object and it breaks.