Alpha I Generation Compatability

Barneyfife

Cadet
OK Experts...need some help: I own a 1982 270 Sundancer with twin Mercruiser 260s. The engines and Gimbal Housings are original...serial numbers of engines and transom plates match original paperwork.

Have owned for approximately 7 years with little trouble. I know when I bought that the sterndrives didn't match, but everything worked fine.

Bought a trailer this year, and brought boat home to do some winter work.

The port sterndrive is a Gen II drive,and the starboard a Gen I. Both the sterndrives and gimbal housings are either pretty beat up or corroded, and replacing everything on the transom is part of my plan.

Here's my question. Everything I'm reading tells me there's not supposed to be compatibility between the Gen I & II drives, but I know there must be a caveat, since my boat's been running fine for all this time with a Gen I gimbal and a Gen II strendrive.

Was there something special done by PO to make this work? What gimbals and sterndrives should I use when I replace these components? It's obviously easier to find nice Gen II gimbals....can I use Gen II gimbals with what's inside the boat? What's the final word on compatibility?

chiefalen

Captain
Re: Alpha I Generation Compatability

You want to replace everything on the transom correct?

If your replacing why not just go with gen2 everything?

Or you want to keep the drives?

Maybe i misunderstood your post.

JustJason

Vice Admiral

Hmmmmm..... Everything prior to a gen 2 you can mix and match somewhat. But you can't stick a gen 2 on a gen 1 bellhousing.
You may want to take some photos of the drives.

Barneyfife

Cadet

If I wasn't clear.....I really don't want to change stuff on the inside of the boat...just the stuff on the outside. The gimbals are definitely original. Both sterndrives say Alpha One on them. The starboard one is definitely a Gen I, narrow trim cylinder pads, small top, etc. The port unit has the wide trim pads, and is serial number 0D636300, which checks to a Gen II 1991-95 model.

What I need to know is what gimbals will be compatible with what's inside the engine compartment. Nice Gen II gimbals atre easier to find. Is one Generatrion "better?"

Bondo

Staff member

Everything I'm reading tells me there's not supposed to be compatibility between the Gen I & II drives, but I know there must be a caveat, since my boat's been running fine for all this time with a Gen I gimbal and a Gen II strendrive.

Ayuh,... I Question that....
Not saying it's Impossible, but it is Very unlikely...
The Shifting mechanisim is Totally Different...
It would mean the Gen.I transom assembley is no longer a Gen.I... Period...
Both the sterndrives and gimbal housings are either pretty beat up or corroded, and replacing everything on the transom is part of my plan. It's obviously easier to find nice Gen II gimbals....can I use Gen II gimbals with what's inside the boat?

Once you get the motors out,+ remove the inner transom plates,...
You'll need to drill 2 extra holes in the upper area,+ then bolt it all back together...
The Gen.IIs use the Bravo bolt pattern, which is 8 retaining bolts, where as the Gen.Is,+ previous models use only 6 bolts...

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Now that I think about it, other than the shift shaft in the bellhousing being different between a Gen I and Gen II drive, it may all be the same. The same mounting gaskets are used, so bolt pattern and seal ring sizes are the same.
Wonder if you could just change shift shafts and make it work? I thought the Gen II drives were wider where they go into the gimbal ring supports

attachment.php

Attachments

• gimbal ring.jpg
    gimbal ring.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 0

Barneyfife

Cadet

I know it sounds odd. My transom plates still have the original serial numbers: Port 5709132 Starboard 5990620. The starboard drive's serial number is gone..but again is definitely Gen I: small trim cyl mounting pads, smaller top, two bolts attaching lower unit. The port drive has the Gen II serial number 0D636300, has the wide trim cyl pads, larger top, 4 bolts attaching lower unit.

And so you see the source of my confusion. Everything I've read says this shouldn't be, but it's what's been working perfectely for the last seven years. I want everything to match, look good, and work right.

Barneyfife

Cadet

The width noted in the picture appers to be identical...approx 3.25 inches.

Bondo

Staff member

Wonder if you could just change shift shafts and make it work?

Ayuh,...

About a year or so ago,..
My Outdrive Guy,+ I were messing about his shop, when I asked this question...
The bottom line is,...
Yes, it can be done, but the final product will not accept a Gen.I after the conversion...
And,..
Yes,.. It's ALL about the Shifting mechanism..
It would take some Creative Engineering to make it happen,... Not just swapping parts...

JustJason

Vice Admiral

Hmm... i didn't think it was possible, I thought they all had different bellhousings. I guess that's my new learned thing of the day. Sorry for my "misinformation".
Hey Bondo... would you mind spilling the beans on what needs to be done to convert the shifter?

Don S

It has to be nothing more than the shift shaft and maybe the bushings for the shaft have to be changed to the G2 style in the G1 bellhousing, or maybe you can put in a G2 bellhousing in the G1 gimbal ring, or both are possible.
But i'm not driveing 27 miles one way to find out today. But I will Monday.

Bondo

Staff member

It has to be nothing more than the shift shaft and maybe the bushings for the shaft have to be changed to the G2 style in the G1 bellhousing, or maybe you can put in a G2 bellhousing in the G1 gimbal ring, or both are possible.

Ayuh,...

Dave seem to think it would probably take alittle of Both....

We never tried it, as you'd still end up with a Redheaded Bastard Stepchild that Nobody could Fix......:rolleyes:

Don S

We never tried it, as you'd still end up with a Redheaded Bastard Stepchild that Nobody could Fix......

Yea, it would look like half the stuff I already have to deal with. Owners do wierd things with their boats, sell them off quick before it breaks, then when something goes wrong we professionals have to figure it out and then get blamed for giving them a bill that is outrageously high, while we try to fix these home-engineered boats not knowing what goes to what or where it came from.

Barneyfife

Cadet

So: What's the "best" way for me to go? To recap: My engines are fine, and am wanting to replace all external components to match w/o having a red-headed stepchild problem.

Are there significant benefits to a G2 setup, (gimbal & sterndrive?) Will the
G2 external components go with what I believe to be all G1 components inside the engine compartment? Or should I look for G1 gimbals and sterndrives?

Rod

JustJason

Vice Admiral

Can you take some photos of what you got Rod?

chiefalen

Captain

So we are back to my original reply.

Why not just change everything on the transom to gen 2.

This jury rigging stuff i don't go for.

Worked to now, the transom is not rotted, correct?

Whats it gonna cost for the entire complete drive from the transom to the tip of the skeg. Gen 2.

Everything in the transom is good inside correct?

Or you don't know cause you aint pulled the motors yet?

Barneyfife

Cadet

I have no intention of pulling the motors. Been running fine for a few years as is, except for the starboard G1 drive got real noisy towards end of season. Brought it home for the winter to do a bunch of cosmetic stuff...paint or wrap, reupholster cockpit, new stereo, etc.

Since the stern drives and gimbals are so crappy looking, intend to replace everything on exterior of transom.

I'll take some pictures tommorrow at first light. Although not sure how good the engine compartment pics will be...pretty tight quarters with the 2 engines!

Bondo

Staff member

I have no intention of pulling the motors.
Since the stern drives and gimbals are so crappy looking, intend to replace everything on exterior of transom.

Ayuh,...

If you're replacing everything Outside the transom,....
You Are pulling the motors...

chiefalen

Captain

Listen i got a grand right here in cash.

If you got a way to pull everything off the transom without pulling the motors and can prove it to me the money is yours.

That don't mean to take a saw and cutting everything out.

I tried it and it can't be done.

Without a shadow of a doubt it can't be done.