water getting into lower unit or not?

joho5

Chief Petty Officer
76 Evinrude 15hp

I put some gear lube in the lower unit when I got this motor a week ago and before I took it out for the first time. The old oil was black.

I am changing it today and was wondering if any water was getting in there...the color of the changed oil was still that golden yellow color, but a bit cloudy. Not like coffee or chocolate milk, just basically the same color but cloudy.

is that what it does after it is ran, or after setting a few days, should it return to that clear gold yellow color?

thanks

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
Re: water getting into lower unit or not?

If the oil is becoming cloudy it is due to water ingress.

Did you give the box a flush to get rid of the old stuff (I would have flushed it a couple of times with some light oil such as cheap automotive engine oil, giving it a short whirl each time to churn it all up then drained thoroughly)

The state of the old oil indicates something is wrong.

Did you fit new seals on the level and drain plugs?

joho5

Chief Petty Officer

no I havent done anything to the lower unit...I guess I will start with the drain and vent plug seals...if it indicates water is coming in, I will just get the kit and reseal the lower unit.

jonesg

Admiral

#1 reason water gets in is the screw seals weren't replaced after changing oil.

I would use new drain/fill seals, run it and take a look at the oil.

iBoats sells the seals in bags of 50. No reason to re-use old seals then.

Last spring my oil looked like milk, tech quoted $375 ,
but a $1 seal on the drain screw fixed it.

I'm just sayin....

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

I think Vic is pointing out that even after you drained the old oil there was/is still some contamination in the gearbox.
The perfect solution is to dismantle the entire gearbox and completely clean all components then reassemble with all new seals.
The realistic solution is to do as he suggests and flush a few times to get rid of almost all of what might be lurking.
Then replace the drain plug seals and top up with fresh gear oil.
If you just replace those seals you will not know whether any sign of water is residual or from leaking seals elsewhere in the lower unit.