year and max speed of yamaha 40 hp?

sarah v

Recruit
I know similar questions have been posted many times so sorry to be boring but I cant find details on the age and maximum speed of a yamaha 40 FML/6E9 there is an additional no. of Nr.300429 if it means anything to you knowlageable lot. This information is nessicary for insurance purposes.
thanks in advance.

Riverman128

Seaman Apprentice
Re: year and max speed of yamaha 40 hp?

No one can even "SWAG" a max speed for a 40HP motor without a lot more information. Would need to know length of boat, hull type & material, apprx. weight, and hull width. With all this info, any estimate will be a guess.

Dunaruna

Admiral

Sarah, what country are you in?

NO WHINERS

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have a 1997 40 hp on a 16.5 ft fiberglass center console...Seems my top speed was around 25 mph....

sarah v

Recruit

i must admit to making a mistake...it was max speed of boat not engine......but I am still stuck on the year of manuracture, from what I can make out from older threads it must be pre 1980?
i am in Greece but the boat has a british flag, I am having problems insuring it as its a wharram catamaran....

Dunaruna

Admiral

Yamaha model numbers for the U.S of A are different to the rest of the world. On your id plate, in the bottom righthand corner, there should be a solitary letter. What is that letter?

Like this.................

Yamahaid.jpg

deejaycee_2000

Captain

a couple years back when I still raced 40's i got a max speed of 60mph out of my 40hp yam .....

NO WHINERS

Petty Officer 1st Class

60 mph.....Wow..Thats pretty fast for a 40....

KurtG

Petty Officer 1st Class

My Dad built a 50' wharram catamaran if we are speaking about the same boats (fiberglasss over wood, sailing cat). We had a 50 HP Johnson on ours. I'd say the top speed was about ~10 knots under power, lol.

sarah v

Recruit

We are indeed talking about the same boat, what model is your dads? mine is a tangaroa mark 1, 10.30m. I have also been told that a top speed (motoring) is in the region of 10 knots.

KurtG

Petty Officer 1st Class

I think it was a Tehini. He built it in our land locked back yard and had each hull taken to be launched by helicopter and bolted together at the local community beach.

Some years later we took it for a long cruise. It was a pretty primitive boat (no electrical, all kerosene lights/cooking, no navigational aids) junk rigged. As kids we loved the expanse of netting between the hulls.

We got caught in a bad storm for 2 days with 30-40' breakers in the Atlantic that beat us up pretty bad, my parents divorced, and that somewhat ended our forays. I took it out myself single handed a few times while still in high school. Still have photos of the trips and movies of the helo launch.