Tune up / Cap and rotor 2004 5.7MPI

I have a Sea Ray Sundancer 240. its powered by a Mercruiser 5.7MPI with a bravo3 I want to tune up my engine! Is there a differance in the brands of distributor caps and rotors, Mallory,Sierra,Delco or OEM? Quality and prefofmance is important to me!

TilliamWe

Banned
Re: Tune up / Cap and rotor 2004 5.7MPI

Unless you know you have a problem, get ready to be disappointed. A cap and rotor is probably not even close to being necessary for you at this point.

JIGGER

Seaman Apprentice

Being a multi port, the fuel filter is prob your biggest threat. Probably the most over looked item. After 4 yrs Id be looking into it. Once a year with oil changes is your best bet. As you winterize or store.

Thank you for the info! The reason I asked this Question is I have owned GM products for many years and there biggest fault is there ignition systems they always get excessive moisture in them and cause corrosion issues, I guess I just wanted to be proactive in preventing any problems in the future. from what I understand in this thread is that my boat is to new for me to worry about the cap and rotor, and yes every year when I winterize it I change the oil & filter and fuel filter, every third year I replace the pre fuel filter,

Bondo

Staff member

I have owned GM products for many years and there biggest fault is there ignition systems they always get excessive moisture in them

Ayuh,....

While your motor is a GM product,...
The Igntion is Pure Mercruiser.... Probably T-Bolt V...

Have you popped the cap,+ Looked at it,..??

chiefalen

Captain

Unless it's running bad why even pop the cap.

My question, hows the plugs look? They talk the loudest. Will tell you the whole story, if you know how to listen.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I would guess that on your MPI engine you have a distributor like the one shown below. If you do decide to change the cap, the one thing I would look for is brass terminals inside the cap. Some of the aftermarket ones have aluminum and they corrode away a lot faster than the OEM. It's also the same exact cap as automotive. Pop the cap and look inside, corrosion builds up a lot worse in a marine inviornment than in automotive.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Electronic Switch.jpg
    Electronic Switch.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 0