Info to rebuild bottom end.

Motrboatr

Cadet
Hi. Not new to boating, but new to Evinrude.
It's an 81 115hp V4.
It needs an impeller and the prop shaft seems to have a bit of slop to it too so I thought that while I had it apart I'd put new bearings and seals in it.
Can anyone point me toward some step by step instructions?
Also, I've read that I'll need a pinion height gauge... can anyone tell me where to get one, or is it too specific of a tool to bother purchasing?
Thanks in advance, and happy boating.
Chris

5150abf

Vice Admiral
Re: Info to rebuild bottom end.

You will be wanting an OEM manual for that job, get one here at iboats or on ebay.

It will have all the specs specific to your motor, rebuilt a couple lowers myself, there is alot of stuff in that little case so you will certainly be wanting something a little more detailed than an internet article.

Good luck, always good to know exactly how things work.

mikesea

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Info to rebuild bottom end.

unless you change gears ,you dont need to worry about sizing.But be sure when you pull the bearing carrier that is under the waterpump ,you don't lose any shims that MAY be on the shaft. But you wont need to remove the shaft to do a RESEAL of the gearcase.You need pull the propshaft bering carrier removing the 4 inside bolts.You may need to get a puller to pull the carrierout.There are 2 propshaft seals and an oring on the inner side.You need to change the shift shaft seal.Count the shaft turns as you TIGHTEN.That will give you your measurement for installing.The shiftshaft has a precise measurement,counting turns til it stops and reversing is the way to re-install