Starter Solenoid

AMD_237

Cadet
I have a bad starter solenoid for my 1960 Johnson 40hp. I had a question about finding a new one. Is it possible that a solenoid from a store like CT(Farm and Country) that is supposed to fit in a Ford could work for my engine? It looks exactly the same with all the same posts and it is for a 12v battery. I can't see anything different and wouldn't think it would matter if I used this but it doesn't say Johnson or anything like that. Any thoughts?

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: Starter Solenoid

Put that Ford solenoid in there and you will blow the starter safety switch in a nano-second. Now you have two more problems: The starter still doesn't work and the vacuum cut-out switch won't work.

AMD_237

Cadet

Do you have to have a starter safety switch or can you just ground it? I'm not really familiar with these safety switches what do they look like and where could I get one if it is required?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

just put the right part in it. NAPA dealers usually have it. they have a 600 page marine parts catalog. yes you need the switch.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Do you have to have a starter safety switch or can you just ground it? I'm not really familiar with these safety switches what do they look like and where could I get one if it is required?

You can ground it and make the starter work. Of course you lose the safety purpose of it. However, grounding the vacuum cut-out switch also prevents that from working properly and may cause a miss at certain speeds. Or not grounding it at all prevents it from working at all.

Without taking the time to look it up, I'm not certain where the switch is on a 1960. Some use a mercury switch on the throttle gear and some use a micro switch touching the magneto armature plate.

If you don't understand the system, it is best to just use the right parts. The solenoid for 1960 is 378444 (Sierra 18-5807). They have the Sierra right here at iboats.