starter fell off. +idle adjustment questions..etc....

Maldoror

Seaman Apprentice
my starter came off the motor when i was out yesterday.
'85 johnson seahorse 30hp.

i thought my battery had lost charge, but when i opened the case i found a bolt in the bottom of the motor and eventually figured out it held the starter on the block. the bolt is straight without a head on it. there is an unthreaded center with one side having more thread than the other side.

which side screws into the block? the short threaded side?

and am i just missing a nut to secure it or is there something more to the assembly?

i managed to get the bolt back in enough to hold the starter in place to engage the flywheel...and then i called off the tow company.

i think the threads are ok...is this indicative of any other problem? i've been tinkering with the idle to try to tune it, but i'm still learning how....so the motor has been rough at times.

while i'm thinking about it..some other things i'm trying to figure out since the seloc manual doesn't cover a lot about my motor. what is the stop-screw with spring that is linked to the control cables on the port side of the motor? is that the idle rpm screw? and the one on top of the carb is the idle mixture screw(is the idle mixture screw a.k.a the slow speed screw?) i made these assumptions and adjusted the idle according to the manual and things are running a lot better, but i'm still cutting a lot, in idle and in slow speed. especially when putting it into gear. the only way i can get in gear most times is by putting up the warmup lever for a minute. do i need to turn the rpm screw in more or turn the mixture screw in more or what? i've tried the lightly seated, 1 1/2 turns out, 1/8 turns in...1/4 turn out thing, but i'm a little confused by wording in that tutorial tashasdad...maybe you can write an "idle adjustments for idiots" post for me.

2 other ?s:

do i have a fuel filter...glass cylinder type or are those just on installed gas tanks? all i have is a screen on my fuel pump right?

and what's the red nylon pointed screw on a black horozontal cylinder inside the motor on the forward starboard side?:confused:

5150abf

Vice Admiral
Re: starter fell off. +idle adjustment questions..etc....

First of all you should only use a Seloc manual in the bottom of your bird cage, about all they are good for.

If you are going to do any work on your motor get an OEM manual, either here at iboats or on Ebay, if it is in the manual it has to do with your motor and nothing else and has any and all info you could ever need, worth every penny.

As to the starter, mine has done that before, a little loc-tite on the bolts and it won't be a problem again.

Not familiar with your engine but my 50 has 3 bolts, 2 on the sides and one high in the front and they screw directly into the block.

As an 85 you can't adjust the idle mix, the only adjustment is the idle speed, which moves the throttle forward just a bit but the mix is controlled by jets that aren't adjutable, you were probably turning the cover screw for the jet.

Order the manual and it will go over all these points in detail.

Vic.S

Rear Admiral

The starter motor bracket is fastened with two set screws with associated washers and one stud with a washer and nut. The lower screw is also the securing point for the ground lead. The screws and stud are parts #36, 54 and 2 in the small diagram that is part of THIS DIAGRAM

I would screw the longer thread of the stud in to the engine and fit the nut on the shorter thread but if that does not work out turn it the other way round.

Maybe #54 only holds the ground lead?

The carb mixture is adjustable with the adjusting screw on the top of the carb
It is part#25 in THIS DIAGRAM

Basically it is adjusted to best running at the slowest possible idling speed once the engine has warmed up. The easy to understand instructions are on the Engine FAQs board HERE

The portable tank does not have a glass bowl filter/water separator as a rule but there is a screen on the pick up pipe in the tank and there may be an optional filter in addition to the filter on the pump. That is shown as part #12 in THIS DIAGRAM

I think what you describe as a "red pointed screw on a black horizontal cylinder" is the manual override on the electric primer, #9 in THIS DIAGRAM

You can find all these diagrams and others for the rest of the engine together with parts lists by going to THE PARTS CATALOG AT SHOP.EVINRUDE.COM

Last edited:

Maldoror

Seaman Apprentice

thanks for the advice...

can someone link me to the manual for my motor? i can't find it anywhere.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

I don't think BRP shows online manuals except maybe for the owners manual.
You will need the Factory service manual..
Email this guy he has hundreds of manuals,all OEM factory books.
Tell him Gary sent you..
http://stores.ebay.com/SEARAYMAN13

HybridMX6

Senior Chief Petty Officer

That's who I've bought my two from, honest seller, fast shipping also.