FICHT Rigging

zslnk

Seaman Apprentice
Hi all,
I purchased a gov. work boat with 2 90hp FICHT's that are not rigged, the motors have all the lines at the transom but nothing is connected. I've figured out the mechanical controls (shift, accel.) but the fuel and oil lines are not clear.

1) I have 3 lines coming from each motor, does the oil get sucked in or is there a pressure line to the res like my Optimax?
2) Is the 3rd line a gas return? If so, how do I ID which gas line is supply and which is return?

Thanks,
Craig

zslnk

Seaman Apprentice
Re: FICHT Rigging

Anyone have any info on this? I visited a dealer today and they didn't really help. I ordered a manual and looked at the dealer rigging manual and it eluded to 2 oil lines but my oil tanks don't have a line back to them.
Craig

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

The 3 lines are :

3/8" ID - fuel line
5/16" ID - oil return line
1/4" ID - oil inlet line

Don't even think of starting up these motors unless you have read and understood the oil bleeding and priming procedure in the manuals. You will also have to bleed the fuel lines to help with a quick start.

The oil tanks have to have a return line fitting on them. If they don't, then you have to drill a hole and install the factory fitting for the 5/16" oil return line.

Be sure to use the factory oil lines and the correct clamps.

zslnk

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks,
I don't have a manual yet but I did start one of the engines, worked great. I determined that the oil supply was the smaller line and I ID'd the return line by squeezing the priming bulb (oil bulb) until oil was coming out of one of the mystery lines. Fuel was the other line and I threw it into a gas jug. The motor fired up on the second key try and ran like a champ. There was oil in the return line when I was done running it (3mins). Water was also fed via a set of muffs.

My oil tanks do have a return nipple.

What are the additional oil bleed procedures, can you outline them for us?

Thanks,
Craig

The 3 lines are :

3/8" ID - fuel line
5/16" ID - oil return line
1/4" ID - oil inlet line

Don't even think of starting up these motors unless you have read and understood the oil bleeding and priming procedure in the manuals. You will also have to bleed the fuel lines to help with a quick start.

The oil tanks have to have a return line fitting on them. If they don't, then you have to drill a hole and install the factory fitting for the 5/16" oil return line.

Be sure to use the factory oil lines and the correct clamps.