Mercruiser I/O Sterndrive...new to old?

DaBoats

Recruit
Well... I am completely new to the boat scene and forum for that matter, I was given what is believed to be a 1983 Beachcraft. It has a running mercruiser engine but no sterndrive. I looked up the serial on the gimble and says its a Mercruiser 1 drive (Pre-alpha?).

Now I also have another boat with what I have determined to be an Alpha I Gen II Sterndrive (older boat doesn't run but has upgraded powerplant from '93) I have been searching these forums and haven't been able to dig up enough information to answer my questions and was hoping you guys could help.

Since I have the complete set up of a Gen II Sterndrive, gimble...etc Can I pull that off the non running boat and set it up on the '83 Beachcraft with out removing engine, or patching and re-cutting the transom?
I know you cant just swap the sterndrives but since I have a complete set up I am hoping it will transfer over.

If not...I have found a sterndrive for sale pretty cheap it looks like the skeg is broken a bit and the guy says its in working order (but who knows). But its from a v-8 engine and I think my beachcraft is a 4-cyl (170 hp). Does this pose a problem, do they have different set ups for different HP engines and are they interchangable?

Really so far I haven't spent a dime for either of the boats and I would like to get one running boat for the least possible amount. I am mechanically inclined, I wrench on trucks, cars, bikes..etc but have never had or worked on a boat. I only say this because if swapping in the Gen II sterndrive is possible I think I could do it and would love to learn!

Thanks in advance to everyone who takes the time to read this and lend a helping hand!!!

JustJason

Vice Admiral
Re: Mercruiser I/O Sterndrive...new to old?

Everything prior to Gen 2 is not interchangable. if you were going to swap it all over to a Gen 2 setup you start at the inner transom plate and end at the propeller.
So yes the motor would have to come out.
Your best bet is to buy a new SEI brand drive unit. They are available right here on Iboats.
Buying used drives.... is like playing darts drunk and blindfolded.

chiefalen

Captain
Re: Mercruiser I/O Sterndrive...new to old?

First welcome aboard.

Where you keeping all these boats you got for free?

Are you mechanically inclined?

Have tools,working knowledge of motors?

Have a mentor?

If your sure it's a 170 4 cylinder motor i would not use it running or not.

Parts are hard to find, motor of poor design, and you will never be happy with it.

I'm not bashing the motor just voicing my own inexpert, humble opinion.

Can you give us the numbers on the gen 2 so someone can run them to determine what gears it's running.

Between the 2 boats you want to use the beech craft?

Hows everything else on the boat?

Floor, controls,transom?

Looks to me your missing key pieces, the right motor that match's the drive.

And a good solid hull with solid stringers setup for the drive and motor you want to drop into the hull.