ship high in transit

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Manure... An interesting fact
Manure: In the 16th and 17th centuries, everything had to be transported by ship and it was also before commercial fertilizer's invention, so large shipments of manure were common.
It was shipped dry, because in dry form it weighed a lot less t han when wet, but once water (at sea) hit it, it not only became heavier, but the process of fermentation began again, of which a by-product is methane gas. As the stuff was stored below decks in bundles you can see what could (and did) happen.
Methane began to build up below decks and the first time someone came below at night with a lantern, BOOOOM!
Several ships were destroyed in this manner before it was determined just what was happening.
After that, the bundles of manure were always stamped with the term 'Ship High In Transit' on them, which meant for the sailors to stow it high enough off the lower decks so that any water that came into the hold would not touch this volatile cargo and start the production of methane.
Thus evolved the term ' S.H.I.T ' , (Ship High In Transport) which has come down through the centuries and is in use to this very day.
You probably did not know the true history of this word.
Neither did I.
I had always thought it was a golf term.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: ship high in transit

You probably did not know the true history of this word.
Neither did I.
I had always thought it was a golf term.

Nope,.... Didn't know that....

I always thought is was a Mechanicin' term.... Usually used Right after a wrench Slipped....

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Nope,.... Didn't know that....

I always thought is was a Mechanicin' term.... Usually used Right after a wrench Slipped....

I usually have stronger words than that when i split a knuckle open...lol!

Just grab the mechanics first aid kit,paper towels and electrical tape...;)

mthieme

Captain

I usually have stronger words than that when i split a knuckle open...lol!

Just grab the mechanics first aid kit,paper towels and electrical tape...;)

I spent 13 years in shops...we always just wrapped a shop rag around whatever and kept going.
I did however learn to keep quilting thread and a needle in my toolbox for stitches. To this day I have a more professional suture kit handy.

fishmen111

Chief Petty Officer

I think someone Smoked Hash Intensely Today!

ne7800

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Very interesting ,...... errr stuff :D :eek:

puddle jumper

Captain

Rice was also another dangerous cargo back then. It didn't go boom but shipped dry and would become wet would multiply in size. It left many ships at the bottom of the sea. Sorry no swear word attached to this one.

wajajaja02

Senior Chief Petty Officer

ok, now why would they ship manure? wasnt there enough here or there already??

mthieme

Captain

I thought the same thing. Anyone with a couple of (farm) animals can't get rid of the stuff.
But I liked the story.