Wonder how the economy will inpact marine retailers?

Mark42

Fleet Admiral
I can think of 6 or more online only marine retailers that are the lowest priced discount retailers I have found. Do you think these sort of places will be badly impacted by the economy? Or will they be able to ride it out because they don't have a chain of stores to operate? I would not be surprised if a few of them closed doors and unplugged the server.

What about the retailers that have store fronts too like West Marine and Cabella's? I bet they are going to be hit the hardest.

angus63

Captain
Re: Wonder how the economy will inpact marine retailers?

I think those with little overhead and some capital cushion will be OK. It's the Mom and Pop storefronts serving luxuries like recreational boating that will suffer this season. I would imagine most of the online retailers/distributers have multiple product lines and span markets to reduce vulnerability.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

I think everyone is going to be affected, some more than others. As has been said, the less overhead and/or the more cash reserves a retailer has, the better their chances of surviving the current downturn will be.

We've already had one outboard dealer fail in my area. I think he represented the weaker end of the spectrum, because he was in an out of the way location, with little drive by traffic. I suspect that he has been struggling for some time, and what has been going on over the summer/fall just did him in.

Its a tough time for all.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i think you are going to see dealers, not reordering inventory, as their current inventory, sells. they may keep a show model of several models, but the lot full of boats, is going to decrease. the ones that do a lot of service work, will keep their parts inventory at a minimum level also. interest of Floor Plans is what can kill a business.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Many dealers have already resorted to "drop shipping" from the manufacturer.

I think the selection or variety of items will go down. Cabelas and BassPro for example sell something for everyone...... just about every sport, home furnishings and cover all age groups. They are just re-sellers and they really do not make their own stuff ....... the names may be branded on things but that is the extent of it.

Those unique brands that maintain store fronts will just have to hang on and work harder.

My opinion ......... we are in for a wild ride and many of us have been through this before....... hang on and do not panic.

dolluper

Captain

Some of the older marina's around this area have bailed out and put there stuff up for auction I have been to 3 already.....tell you though no bargins there still is alot of money floating around or fools