requirment of marine radio

dieselmax

Seaman
Hi i just bought an 18 starcraft i/o and am wondering if i need to install a marine radio i'm not sure if the law requires one in canada or not. Even thought i won't be useing it untill spring it would be nice to know so i can look for one over the winter
Thanx Dave

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: requirment of marine radio

i don't know about Canadain law, but if boating in big water they are nice to have. i have fixed mount and handheld VHF.

Boatin Bob

Lieutenant Commander

Not required in Canada for a boat that size but as TD says nice to have especially in big water like the great lakes!

dieselmax

Seaman

thanx for the quick responses i will be useing the boat in lake superior a fair amount so maybe i'll go ahead and find one for spring .... my $125 boat is getting expensive lol thanx again

dieselmax

Seaman

thanks for the quick responses i will be on lake superior a fair amount so maybe i`ll look for one over the winter my $125 boat is getting expensive lol now just to get the outdrive off for some winter repairs thanks again

dan t.

Lieutenant Junior Grade

lots of basic vhf units out there for $100 to $150 ,around $100 for a good quality 8 ft antenna. be aware that in canada you need an operators licence.canadian power squadron puts on the course.it is pretty easy.the C/G tends to get a little snotty if you dont have the licence