1978 85hp water flow question

ryerman

Cadet
I got into some shallow "dirty water" and the overheat alarm sounded. I shut it off IMMEDIATELY and ran home on my Honda kicker. Now, the alarm will sound after engine sits at idle for 10-12 minutes. Sometimes it will idle for 30 minutes before alarm sounds. Don't want to try it at running speed, though.Water is exiting the pee hole at a very stong flow, but is never really warm to the touch. I am going to change the impellar, but was wondering if the pee hole is just an indicator of water flow, and not the total amount of water passing through the engine. Also, could I have some material in the thermostat and :confused: that is affecting water flow? Engine never got hot and when checking the head temps with my fingers, they seem to be even in their feel.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1978 85hp water flow question

the tale tell is just an indicator the impeller is pumping. not that the engine is cooling. i would change the impeller and check the Tstat. also while lower is off, and tstat out, back flush the motor thru the Tstat housing.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Be sure that the water intake screen on the gearcase is in good condition when you have the waterpump off.

The tell-tale does not tell you if the water is going through the engine at all, just that the pump is functioning.

Your thermostat housing is most likely full of debris.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

When you take the thermostat housing apart to check the stats, check the valve body. It has two small pinholes that need to be open. One/both may be plugged/clogged. If they are not open, it will overheat at idle.

ryerman

Cadet

Thanks for the info. Supposed to rain this week, will put it in the shop and
replace and clean from the impellar to the thermostat.