Cool Boat

azlakes

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Cool Boat

... she is a beauty. 6 bidders, 4 days. owner sounds responsible. that boat will get a happy new home.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

wheres td....he was looking for a vinatge....i think he wanted a cris....but theis could be a good stepping stone till he gets clean title of the one he wants.

awesome looking boat

marine4003

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I hope someone who knows how to care for and maintain her gets her...I've seen way too many classics get bought by folks who dont have a clue on how to handle the care these type of boats require...they end up in the backyard rotting,There should be a background check on people interested in buying classics,plus a through check of there personal items prior to delivery...looking for signs of noticeable neglect of personal property...No Boat For You !!!:D

scipper77

Commander

That boat is beautiful!! wow, I'd love something like that. Too bad I just bought a house and I'm having a kitchen remodel and my wife is 8 months pregnant and there is like a foot of snow on the ground and the boat is in texas with me in new york.

I guess before I bought the new house, when I had a pile of money in the bank for the down payment would have been an even worse time for you to have shown me that boat.

That motor looks unbelievable. Just like the seller, I too would probably not want to put that in the water much either. It's just that you could get an old (not classic just old) beat up boat in that size for cheap to cruise around in and who wants to add wear and tear to something that nice?

What if it has serious hull issues? seller did say after he finished the restore he decided not to put it in the water. That's the strangest thing I've ever heard. Who in there right mind would put themselves through the process of restoring a boat and never put the boat in the water when they were finished? How do you even know if you are finished if you don't even know if it floats? does it take on water?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

it is a beauty, but a maintainance nightmare, those old mercs are tempermental, they even have bolts on them that are lefthand threads. parts are also extremely hard to find. thanks for the thought oops! but the merc would be the break the deal for me.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

Gee Scipper, what's a few obstacles? Tell mama to have that baby in 16 months instead of 9, take out a seoond mortgage with Fannie, go buy the dang boat! :D

I don't have experience with that particular brand of boat, but it looks like it is made just like the Whirlwinds, which I do have a lot of experience with. What I find is that, if there are problems, they will be at the transom, keel, or rails - basically at the points where the cold molded mahogany was stapled/glued to the frame. Exceptions to this are if there was ever damage to the hull somewhere else. If they are well kept, however, they can be very solid boats, even after all of these years. The trick to them is to hand sand bad spots in the varnish as needed, and recoat. As long as you keep a seal with varnish that is in good condition, the wood remains protected.

I'm not at all surprised that the owner hasn't put it in the water. If he is the type who likes to restore boats and show them at the wooden boat shows, that would be a pretty normal thing to do.

mthieme

Captain

Nice setup.
There's a nice wooden runabout around the corner from me for sale that needs some restoration work. Unfortunately, the guy thinks he has a gold mine. The boat is nothing special, but could be brought back without too much.
I gotta find another route to work before I weaken!

marine4003

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Nice setup.
There's a nice wooden runabout around the corner from me for sale that needs some restoration work. Unfortunately, the guy thinks he has a gold mine. The boat is nothing special, but could be brought back without too much.
I gotta find another route to work before I weaken!

Resistance is futile (sting) buy the boat...buy the boat....you must buy the boat. Repeat 15 times...drink some Rum..and before you know it,there's another dang boat in your driveway...or..at least that's what happened to me:eek:

Radiac

Cadet

Great looking boat. There is one thing I don't understand.

Why use registration numbers from Wally World, and then get someone that just finished their seventh cup of coffee to put them on?

Pony up for something that is at least evenly spaced.

Just my opinion.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Actually in 39 Carl Kiekhaefer Bought the old Thor outboard plant to use to manufacture a magnetic seperator.The motors were junk and Carl figured
he could refine them and get rid of the inventory make a little dough and empty the plant.I guess he got side tracked.The 78A was rated at 70hp,probably actually more.Note the rope start just in case. Don't think I would want to hand start that rascal.Imagine a motor named the Kiekhaefer
nobody would ever be able to spell it.By the way he was dead set against the I/O.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

Great looking boat. There is one thing I don't understand.

Why use registration numbers from Wally World, and then get someone that just finished their seventh cup of coffee to put them on?

Pony up for something that is at least evenly spaced.

Just my opinion.

LOL - you're right! I didn't notice that before. It looks like the person who put the numbers on was drunk, lazy or sloppy!

pduquette

Ensign

Great find Jay ! What a beautyfull boat ! It even gives me a few good ideas for my spring re-paint . Thanks for shareing :)!