Boyesen Reeds for Nissan 18E & 40C

John_S

Rear Admiral
I picked up some Boyesen reeds for my '85 Nissan 40C and '97 18E. I see in the installation instructions about richening the idle to prevent backfire. Is it neccessary on these engines, and if so, what jet(s) are needed? Thx.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral
Re: Boyesen Reeds for Nissan 18E & 40C

I would contact Tohatsu directly at info@tohatsu.com...But, I don't remember having to do anything other than adjusting the idle mixture screw on the last one I did years ago.

Babyhewie

Recruit

I picked up some Boyesen reeds for my '85 Nissan 40C and '97 18E. I see in the installation instructions about richening the idle to prevent backfire. Is it neccessary on these engines, and if so, what jet(s) are needed? Thx.

Have always wondered if the Boyesen reeds made any difference on outboards, please post results when you have them running smoothly. I remember them from my old motocrossing days, but it's been so long I can't remember if they made any difference from a good set of stockers or not.

deejaycee_2000

Captain

They give better fuel consumption and a little extra performance ....

John_S

Rear Admiral

Installed them on the 40C today. It took a few hours, but went slow to not mess things up. Can't tell much running on the muffs, and did annual decarb, lower unit oil change, and spark plugs. I should be able to report back next weekend on any performance change.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

Most everyone says they get better throttle response at the expense of a rougher idle. A few people claim they pick up a mph or two at top end, but, that's probably the exception rather than the rule.