flywheel for 76 evinrude 15hp

joho5

Chief Petty Officer
The motor I am getting I know like I have said has a stripped out gear puller hole. Now in the picture I have seen of this motor it looks like it might have a possible very small chip on the edge of the flywheel. If this is the case, I will just get another since I think this is a very universal flywheel with the 9.9's and 15's.

The problem is that this is a manual start engine and I noticed there are different flywheels for manual start vs electric start.

I know the electric start probably has different gears for the electric starter, but it should also be compatible for manual start as well right?

Question is what years are compatible with the 76 15hp, and can I use the flywheel that is designed for an electric start motor.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: flywheel for 76 evinrude 15hp

you can compare part #s here on the years. yes electric start fly wheel has the notch to wrap a rope around to start the motor. but not necessarily to work with a recoil starter. it would seem they would use the same flywheel, on both motors, if they were compatible. it would be cheaper to manufacture just one, than 2.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Make sure you get a flywheel for a low-tension magneto motor. The flywheels from the CD ignition motors won't work...

Doesn't matter if it is electric start or not - two different ring gears involved. The electric start flywheel has BOTH ring gears.

- Scott

Rick.

Captain

I'm not sure but I think they went to CD in about 79 and later. I know my 79 is CD. Make sure you check the numbers before buying. Rick.

mikesea

Lieutenant Commander

the chip may be the notch they provide in the event you break the pull cord,you can then start like the old days ,wrap a cord around and pull to get in.definatly pay attention to the differance in flywheels as mentioned.I sure you will be ok if you redrill and tap you present one