1986 8hp Evinrude

1ghunt

Cadet
My 8 hp will start on the first pull and it will idle all day long but when I rev her up to go sometimes it will and others it will just cough rev and cough. I have cleaned the carb twice to no avail, replaced the fuel in the gas tank, put on a new fuel pump. Sometime it will run ok and plane a 12 ft Valco but you never know how long or when. I am down to thinking about a neutral switch ,if it has one, or maybe getting air in the fuel line some where. The compression on both cylinders is about 93 lbs. Any suggestions.

1ghunt

Cadet
Re: 1986 8hp Evinrude

I did remove the high speed needle and cleand the orfice with cleaner and blew it out with air. I didn't cheack the spark and do not know how. Are you saying it maybe be one coil that is bad?

Rick.

Captain

If the carb is clean spark could be your problem. When it is running rough pull the one plug wire at a time. If the engine quits, you just pulled the one plug that was working. I think the motor could idle (troll) all day with one plug working. Have you pulled the plugs to check if one is fouled? Good luck. Rick.

jasper60103

Commander

1. buy a spark tester $6-7 at local auto parts store. see pic below.
2. remove both plugs
3. ground one plug wire.
4. hook-up tester to the other plug wire and ground the other end.
5. adjust tester gap to roughly 7/16"
6. You may need an assistant for this step. Crank motor while looking for a crisp blue spark jumping the gap on tester.
7. Repeat #3-6 with other plug wire.

Attachments

• Coil_tester.jpg
    Coil_tester.jpg
    4.9 KB · Views: 0

1ghunt

Cadet

Thanks everyone. I am working on the carb first then will get into town and purchase a spark tester. Any othere suggestions would be apreciated. In looking at the model tag I see that it is and E8RCUD which is a 1987.