Alunium Brazing Stuff

Mac uk

Seaman
I found a product HTS 2000 on the net. Makers claim it can join, fill etc aluminium boat stuff, even cast aluminium. Has anybody heard of this stuff and used it. Is it as good as they say? or something to stay clear of.

Lots of bogus stuff and sites out there if you know what I mean.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Alunium Brazing Stuff

Don't know about HTS 2000, but I have used aluminum brazing rod and flux successfully.

Mac uk

Seaman

Dont need any flux apparently, just an stainless steel brush supplied with the kit. Simmular to durafix easyweld.

Cracked my bearing carrier & been quoted ?125 ($220 about) for a new one, Only $91 for one in the States, Welcome to RIP OFF BRITTIAN.

Yachtzee

Seaman

I have used this product with mixed results.
It is a bit expensive.
I'd say that the repairs are strong, but not as strong as the companys videos portray.

I used it to repair holes in a mercury exhaust water jacket cover and inner baffle with very good results.

I used it to repair the hull on an aluminum boat with good results.

I tried to make a frame for a floor hatch cover out of brand new aluminum channel and the corner joints cracked.

I tried to fix a cracked off blade on the prop of a merc 9.8, with horrific results.

When the prop got hot enough to melt the rod, the prop melted too.

They say you can use a map gas torch and you can if the stock is light enough. If you get into something more like a casting you need oxy acetylene.
They reccomend a "rosebud" tip, and I'd say that works the best. but also say that you can use a cutting tip wide open. I just made a mess trying that. I was not able to get enough control of the heat with a cutting tip.

They provide a special little brush to use, I think that it is stainless. The stuff will not work without the brush and it is easy to burn up the brush, The stainless brush I bought to repplace it did not work as well.

Mac uk

Seaman

Im thinking of repairing my beering carrier, cracked two of the arms prising it out. Trouble is the heat Ill'e need to apply will probably melt/burn the oil seals.

If I cant get a better price for a new one ill'e give it try with the hts 2000, sounds like its handy stuff to have around

THanks

sschefer

Rear Admiral

HTS 2000 has a working temp of 732 degrees. I have used it to repair an aluminum boat hull (.0165 in thick).

From the sounds of things you plan on doing this repair in place. I'm not sure if your reference to bearing carrier is the cap, block portion or if it's a full carrier.

Aluminum disperses heat rapidly which was a problem I had with the thin boat hull. I solved that by backing it up with a piece of steel clamped firmly in place to prevent distortion of the aluminum. This is important if you have anything in the area that can be damaged by heat. Sounds like you do so I would say tear it down before you try.

As far as strength goes, there are testimonials on their website but I was never able to out perform my MIG or TIG welds with HTS 2000. It's also pretty sloppy to work by my standards.

The product and its application methods have their place but I'm not so sure yours is one of them.

hamit59

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I tried this stuff out it was far from what you would call great you can fix some small cracks with it. It does not have any strength at the weld joints.
If you have to do any machining to the part after the weld you'll remove most if not all of the filler. There is little if any penetration in the weld joint.

If you want to get your part fixed take it apart and take it to a weld shop,If you can't do it yourself. Here in the US that would be about a hour repair.

Just my 2 cents worth

Mac uk

Seaman

I wish I was in the States, Cheaper boat parts, and better weather for boating, it looks great on the tv.

Anyway Ive got another bearing carrier in the other unit, ive got one shot at getting it out complete, if I break this one ille be P'd off, and give up with the Mercury. Now wheres that hammer.

Thanks lads Mac

hamit59

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Mac,
Here in Ga I fish all yr long when the water's up a cold day is around 0 c in north Ga i fish for stripper jan and feb in the spring it bass an crappie