What grit to sand with between coats of paint?

BigJ08

Petty Officer 1st Class
Using some Rustoleum topside to repaint some pieces on the boat. Just wondering what the best thing so sand with between coats would be. I've got some 320 but i was thinking I might need something a little more coarse as I've got a few runs in the fist coat :mad:. What do you guys think?

fdmsiv

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: What grit to sand with between coats of paint?

I would suggest the 300 range, but to save yourself time and energy, get the Wet/Dry paper and wet sand the hull. Just use some water and a pinch of dish soap and go to town. You will need to be careful around the runs, you will get the run smoothed out, but you can lose all of the paint around it.

ne7800

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I would suggest the 300 range, but to save yourself time and energy, get the Wet/Dry paper and wet sand the hull. Just use some water and a pinch of dish soap and go to town. You will need to be careful around the runs, you will get the run smoothed out, but you can lose all of the paint around it.

agreed

BigJ08

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yeah I was planning on wet sanding, I believe the 320 I have is the wet/dry stuff. Thanks for the help guys.

Bondo

Staff member

You will need to be careful around the runs, you will get the run smoothed out, but you can lose all of the paint around it.

Ayuh,....

If you can catch it early enough in the curing process,...
Skin the Drips,+ Runs off with a razorblade....
Then you're less apt to sand the surrounding paint too Thin....