Don S, Volvo Frankenstein Question

f_inscreenname

Commander
Sorry about calling you out by name. I know how you don?t like it but I have a question that I think you are the authority on.
I?m looking to add trim to my Volvo 280 outdrive in the Monza like I did the last time with the Nova. This time instead of a 280 T transom shield I only can find a 270 T transom shield (that has all the parts, fork rams, etc). For the 280T shield I just used a MerCruiser trim pump with a couple splitters in the hydraulic lines to run it. The question is can I do the same with the 270T or will I need a special trim pump?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Don S, Volvo Frankenstein Question

To be honest, I have no idea. I have never even seen a 270 trim system, I have a manual for it, but that is a lot different than knowing the sytem.

Bondo

Staff member

a 280 T transom shield I only can find a 270 T transom shield

Ayuh,....

I'm not even sure that I've ever even Seen either 1,..
But,..
If those Volvos use the same simple Hyd. principles as Everybobyelse...

I gotta believe it won't matter in the least as to Which pump you supply it with...

I've mixed,+ matched the various different Merc systems,.. Hi-pressure,.. Low pressure...
Other than the reverse lock issue,... They're just Pumps...
Button Up, Drive up..
Button Down, Drive down...

f_inscreenname

Commander

That's what I thought Bondo. They are pretty universal. Half of my boat is Mercruiser and the other half is Volvo. I should have known.
Also thanks Don for the PDF.

After some research (while trying to keep a website alive with lots of code work) I happen to run across this. http://www.volvopentastore.com/INTE...7065329--**********.605468708--view_id.317496
It looks like the suspension (#9) is different and has put a hold on things if the guy doesn't still have it. I wish I could find another 280T shield at a reasonable price.:redface:

abj87

Petty Officer 1st Class

How close are the cylinder bores to the merc ones? If there close id go for it. If there much smaller you wont have enough pressure but if there bigger you may break parts, unless you adjust the pressure relief valves.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,...

Thanks for the file Don,... Donno if I'll Ever use it again, But I saved it anyways,...

Reveiwing the file,...
I can see where the Merc pump might work,..
You'll probably need to plumb it slightly differently, just to get the cylinders to work together,..
Aka. plumbing thru the Trim cylinder, then to the Lift cylinder...
The newer Merc. pumps have a check-valve to deal with Reverse, so that shouldn't be an Issue...
I'm thinking you should be able to plumb them in Series, rather than Parallel...
But,...
I also agree, Going to the 280T transom assembley just might be a Better move...

I'll have a look thru the bone pile to see if there's any Volvo stuff left, but I believe it was cleaned out a couple years ago... Not that there was much for Volvos there to begin with,.. Volvos are less than common around here...

Good Luck...

f_inscreenname

Commander

How close are the cylinder bores to the merc ones?
Not even close. I've through about this for years trying to figure out a home built system for the Nova. Finally found a 280T shield and it was done. Now with this Monza I spent weeks fixing holes in the transom where they had a mickey mouse trim set up in it. I would rater leave it without trim then do that again to it.
21333475oq1.jpg

39756772hq4.jpg