Wellcraft 233

Jestnomen

Recruit
Hello everyone, I am considering buying a late 1980's Wellcraft 233 eclipse (asking $5000). The cabin and outer hull are in generally good condition. The engine was replaced as well as the stern drive two years ago or so. I would buy this boat but I am hesitant because of two soft spots in the floor. Here are some pictures:

SL740162.jpg

SL740163.jpg

SL740166.jpg

3.jpg

The two soft spots are under the seats on the left and right of the engine. Obviously I won't know the extent of the damage until I remove the wood. Couple of questions. Does anyone know if someone sells a plastic or fiberglass replacement for the engine box? I really don't like the wooden box that is on it right now.

If I replace the flooring how can I fix it so this doesn't happen again? Should there be drains there? Should I replace the seat cushions so there is one large one?

Lastly the owner says he replaced the carb a few days ago with this one. It appears to be a Edelbrock 1409, can anyone confirm?

4.jpg

That is not damaged wood on the right side, it is insulation foam that is chipped.
5.jpg

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Wellcraft 233

soft spots 99% of the time are rot. and possibly more. is that a marine carb. if not it has to be, or the possiblity of BOOM.

J. Mark

Petty Officer 1st Class

That does look to be an Edelbrock 1409. I would replace the air filter with a flame arrestor though.

Better check the transom for rot if the rear floor is soft. It is all repairable if you have the time, energy and inclination.

Jestnomen

Recruit

Is the only way to determine if the transom is rotten by a core sample? From what I could see the the rot was isolated to underneath the seats in a round area. Who knows though unless I buy the boat and pull up the floors.

The owner didn't use that air filter in the picture. I think he put on the original one from mercury.

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander

Seems like a lot of cash to put down on a boat that's going to have to have a floor job.Unless it ran like a top had a marine carb and the outside was like new as well as all the interior id pass this one to the next guy.Not trying to offend anyone but 5000 and then maybe 2000 more plus all the work? Id look for a better deal.

Cptkid570

Ensign

I really like the swim platform on that boat. I've been looking for something similar. Does anyone out there have the same boat? I'd like to know more about it too.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

what a delema eh?????......boat looks good.....new motor and drive.....well worth the 5k....but the deck is rot......

decisions....:(

the only problem is, as td said, chances are high that there is a lot more rot under the deck..........the good news is that if you re do the deck....you can redo that doghouse with out too much of a problem....you could build build that any way you wanted to

Cptkid570

Ensign

Oops - you could turn it into a 28 foot boat too!

How do you remove the floor in a boat like that? Do you have to raise the entire cap?

Do the sides of the engine compartment come off (where that insulation is peeling up) so that you have more room to get to the engine if needed?

jonesg

Admiral

... at the very least I'd want surveyor to look it over,

its a fairly consistent story,
soft spot on deck quickly becomes "and the transom is shot".

oops!

Supreme Mariner

Oops - you could turn it into a 28 foot boat too!

How do you remove the floor in a boat like that? Do you have to raise the entire cap?

Do the sides of the engine compartment come off (where that insulation is peeling up) so that you have more room to get to the engine if needed?

the deck can be cut out with out removing the cap......simelar to a open bow job......you just cut out amid ships and leave a 3 inch flange around the edge.

that motor compartment is not stock....i dont really know if the builder made that hole so a guy can get in there....i would hope so.

but you can bet i would be changing that puppy.

thats a beauteful boat....i love the freeboard