Merc 75hp going into gear crunching?

mzoghbi

Recruit
Hi guy's
Ive got a 75hp 1984 model Merc and i just bought the boat off a private sale all seemed good but when i was testing the motor out of the water(with the plugs) when i placed it in gear (front of reverse) it felt like its crunching and was tight to put into gear.

Anything i can checkout??
anyone able to help and tell me if thats normall or an issue?

Thanks
Michael

Dunaruna

Admiral
Re: Merc 75hp going into gear crunching?

Check your gear oil level and any water intrusion, and check your idle speed. The gear change should be swift and decisive, not slow. If the idle speed is too high, a slow change will cause grinding, a fast change will cause a 'bang'.

mzoghbi

Recruit

Check your gear oil level and any water intrusion, and check your idle speed. The gear change should be swift and decisive, not slow. If the idle speed is too high, a slow change will cause grinding, a fast change will cause a 'bang'.

hey mate,
Thanks for the info, If you dont know im new to the baoting sean, It might sound stupid but where would the gear oil be located??
Also how much Rpm's should it be revving at at idle?
and the gear shift is really tight.

Thanks Michael

Dunaruna

Admiral

The gear oil is in the gearbox, in the leg.

The tight shifter could be anything from a tightly adjusted friction screw to a fault in the gearbox.

You need a workshop manual if you wish to dig deeper into outboard motors.

twostroke87

Petty Officer 2nd Class

A tight shift could also indicate bad throttle/and or shift cables. Your idle should be ballpark 700-800 RPM when warmed up, it might be a little higher when cold.